1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has anybody ever broke the steering column f-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by alleghenypaving, Jan 29, 2008.

1. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

have a 97 f-350 and the steering wheel is ready to fall off.well it feels that way ..took it to the shop and it needs a whole new one.the shop said it was from guy,s getting in the truck using the wheel for a handle getting in the truck.anybody else have this problem.can't think this is going to be a cheap fix..needs to be fixed,can't drive the truck with the wheel( steering wheel ) floating around like that .can almost hand the wheel to your buddy going down the road..if you get tired of driving.without switching seats. not to safe.. so i guess i gotta get it fixed..

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

wow, yeah i see alot of people that use the wheel to get in the truck. I always use the handle on the a pillar.

But, to answer your question, no, i have never heard of this before!

3. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Do you employ many short guys? I can see this happening if they always use the wheel to get in. Most are held on with only a few small bolts. They're just not made to have that kind of load put on them. :salute:

4. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I use the steering wheel as a helper to step up and slide into my F250...I would imagine that a 300 pound guy with short legs could put quite a strain on the column, but what I do isn't going to hurt my steering column...IMO

Did u buy the truck used? Lots of "abusive" owners/ operators out there... :nod:

5. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

my buddy has a 97 f350 that he uses for landscaping and he had a fat guy working for him {400 pounds plus} well he always used the wheel to get into the truck, and she finally gave way. He went to the junk yard and got parts to fix it.

6. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

yea i do have a couple of short some what little over weight guys.this column is all one unit,i thought it would look like a mini drive shaft but it looks nothing like that. it a self contained unit. all enclosed with wires sticking out every end. took a look at the truck in the shop and was glad i didn't try this at home. (fixing the truck myself ) the mechanic told me that they make a lot of these columns.all kinds of differant electric set-ups.cruise control,delayed wipers,air bags,radio buttons on the wheel etc.as for the short chubby employees might try nerf bars, running boards. maybe a couple of gym trips..wesport

7. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

I worked for a ford dealer for 20 years. I have seen this problem many times

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Was that a tilt column that broke?
    Parts like that for older trucks are nearly impossible to find.
    I needed a shifter socket for my 89. It was impossible to find. Found one at a junk yard where I went to buy an entire column assembly. It was sitting on the shelf. Still in the FOMOCO box.

9. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

yes it was a tilt mickirig1,the mechanic that installed the junkyard used tilt column told me the same thing. that these columns are hard to find. needless to say the truck is up and running and the repair was not all that bad. $225.00 total parts and labor.thanks for everybody's input on this repair,just never seen one do this. like old willie nelson sings( on the road again...)

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The best part of the story was I went to get the column the Internet said they had. The guy at the counter said well the Internet's wrong! As I was walking away I said all I really need is the shift socket. He goes "shift socket"? Blammo He slams it on the counter. Like this?

ON THE ROAD AGAIN plays in my head each time I get my old truck fixed and back inservice.
    Most people would have gave up on my old truck long ago.
    But it's paid for and I can fix it for about 1/3 of what shops charge.
    With the little snow we have had in the last 3 seasons. I have to laugh at the guys with big money a month payment guys.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008