1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody done this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Dec 12, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have a cable operated Western plow on my Blazer, and just broke the control handle, i have a Meyer plow on another truck that i am not using. I want to swap the pump/motors and install the Meyer wire harness on the Blazer, the Blazer is an 89' and the truck with the Meyer plow is an 87' so the head lights should be fairly simple to hook up. my concern is is there going to be much fabricating to mount the Meyer pump/motor to the Western frame?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Long as you got a torch and a welder your good, you can make anything you want, My chevy has a Ford bracket on on it.

3. DJ Contracting

Yeah i figured that the good thing is that the Meyer lift cylinder is thinner than the Western and may only need bushing to keep it from moving side to side.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to hop on ebay and buy a used cable-op Western joystick? There are 50 Western controllers on ebay for sale today, surely some of them are the one you need.

Like, this one for example...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WEST...021204115QQcategoryZ63688QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

What'd you do?? Have a Michigan moment and think it was the shifter to yer dump truck?:waving: payup

6. DJ Contracting

I could buy another joy stick however the plow works so slow that the Meyer plow just seems to work faster and it won't cost hardly anything to convert.

:waving: Yeah Bob that joy stick isn't as strong as the lever on the dump truck, have fun spoiling that grandson of yours.

7. indyhorses

indyhorses Junior Member

Just A Thought. I've seen this done before. Just trade out the myer power unit and use the western plow. Most of the time the fittings are the same.

8. DJ Contracting

Yeah indyhorses that's what i'm trying to do i want to use the Western frame a-frame, cylinders and Blade and just switch the power units, if anybody has done this and has pictures i can see that would be cool.