1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody broken their Intensifires yet?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BRIAN11, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

After plowing two storms both of my brand new Intensifires are broken. The plastic pieces that hold the lenses on to the housings are broken across the bottom on one of them and all the way around on the other. I don't recall hitting anything that should have caused this, at least nothing I wouldn't have hit with the old lights that didn't break. Has anybody else had this problem? I wouldn't have even known it until the second broke the clips all the way around.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Does the warranty cover them?

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Please post a picture or were you see them cracking.

4. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

My dealer told me that they wouldn't warranty them. And, Fisher told me that I'm the only one that has had a problem, which could be the case. Both lights are broken in the same place, but this one is worse.

Thanks,
    Brian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LON

LON Senior Member

These tabs are there only for holding the lense in place when they are glued in place. Them breaking off shouldn't affect anything. The light bulbs are to be changed out the back anyway.
    Lon

6. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

They're breaking because they're not mounted properly. First, they're not even mounted on a Fisher plow. They appear to be mounted on a Meyer plow. Secondly, the bracket to which they've been mounted is not robust enough to support the weight of the headlamp.

7. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

I realize why the tabs are there and that the bulbs come out the back. The problem is the lens is no longer attached to the housing on either light as can (maybe not very well) be seen in my last picture.

Thanks,
    Brian

8. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

No they are not on a Fisher plow, but it's definately not a Meyer. Why would that make them break? Believe me the bracket (that isn't shown completely in the picture) is just as strong, or stronger then a Fisher bracket.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What a bummer! I feel bad 200+ for each set and this happens. :confused: I would use RTV on them to dampen the vibration and seal them.

They could be shaking too much on your setup.. You guys with them on a Fisher.. check and see if yours are OK.

I wanted a set but no way going to put them on if they are doing this on a Fisher head.:cry:

10. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

They definately seem pretty rigid the way they are mounted, they don't vibrate at all. Besides these lights are lighter then the ones I took off that didn't break. I'm not saying there is a problem at all, it could be me. I'm just trying to find out if other people are having issues (that they may not have noticed yet) with them mounted on a Fisher frame.

Thanks,
    Brian

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

so what kind of plow frame are they mounted to?

12. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

new lights

I have heard they leak. A cust has had 3 sets that had water get in and short bulbs

13. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

What kind of plow has nothing to do with it.. Sorry.. They shouldn't break. The guy only plowed twice and has a nice rig..

Fisher must have problems in design and testing the lights they have cause my MM 1's lights busted up bad. Every manhole cover..Ha. They came out with a better design after a few years..
    Probably the same with these..

Did Fisher or the dealer say "They haven't had a problem?"

I'd call their tec dept. and log it.

Those things are way over priced and should be designed to withstand the punishment of plowing.. These people who design these things sit in an office and think they come up with a great design that's pretty and cheap without any real world experience plowing.

I'd try to get another pair or go with another brand that the guys have luck with.. Check out the Myers forum,etc.

I was going to get them but I'll wait now or go to a different brand.

Capt.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  14. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

I emailed Fisher and the rep told me they haven't had a problem and to see my dealer (who I knew would blow me off when he saw they weren't on a Fisher plow). Then he saw this post, and he said refer to the reply on the board, I'm sure it was the one about it not being a Fisher plow (I never told him it was or wasn't on a Fisher plow, I didn't really think it would create such a big problem). Anyways, I have since repaired both lights with some 3M 2 part panel bonding adhesive. They originally look like they are put together with black RTV (but it could be some wango dango adhesive:) ), and it doesn't appear as though there was enough on the bottom edge of either light. It didn't even have a mark where they pushed the two pieces together. I should have taken some pictures to show everyone. A buddy of mine has a Fisher plow with these lights and his are starting to do the same thing, so if he decides to re-engineer them like I did, we will take some pics when we fix his.

Thanks,
    Brian

15. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I'd go over to the other boards and let the guys know about this problem.. These lights are running about $300 big ones with the brackets,etc. and they should and may want to advoid the chances of breakage. I would and have because of your post.

Selling them on Ebay and get another brand is an option for you too.

Fisher might have had a bad year because of no snow and with all those lights in stock they produced don't want to open a can of worms out front. But out back I can guarantee there workiing on the next generation of them.

Go to the guy you bought them from and try to get another pair. Let him return them to Fisher to examine. If he doesn't don't go back ever to him..

The plow there on has nothing to do with it. Tha'ts crap. If anything Fisher with the trip edge design is harder on them. Anyone going to suck that excuse up? Not me..

Don't take it personnal.. That's just big business..Small business in case of the dealer. Keep us posted on how they perform,etc.

Like I said I went through this with my MM1 lights produced in 1999. But I didn't pay 300 bucks for them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  16. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

What type of plow, if you don't mind me asking? Nothing to do with the thread, I am just curious. Can you post pictures?

17. BRIAN11

BRIAN11 Junior Member
    from MA

It started out life as a Curtis, but I have modified quite a bit of stuff to suit my needs (I plow for Mass Highway). I added a real cutting edge (3/4 carbide) along with the necessary reinforcing to hold it and had to beef up quite a bit of other stuff. But overall it has held up really well considering what I do to it, I haven't had any failures yet.

18. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I plowed for Mass Highway for 6 years and it's easy plowing.. Don't let any one tell you it's the plow Brian.. A plow is a plow..

Jim

19. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I checked my Intensifires and all the tabs look fine... no cracking or breakage....
    L15

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i dont have those lights or can i see my self paying 200-300 for plastic crap. this stuff thay make anymore is junk.

if its a part that can be bolted on a fisher setup i would ask a friend with a fisher to swap with you and take it in on a fisher plow and say please fix this.

its the product sold by a company and there name on it . thay need to warenty it if its a problem. no diffrent than if i got a part from your auto store and said it didnt hold up on my truck . and you try and say well its not genuine o.e parts i cant warenty it.