1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has any one played the bidding game like this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Nov 3, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

ok so i was asked to place a bid for this commercial property for a local meijer......
    i did this a couple months ago.
    I got a call a today saying i am one of the top 3 snow companies to plow this lot! :yow!: yay?

then the guy sent me this link...
    Its confidential so i cant give it to anyone but i guess i could tell you guys about it...
    All we do is play this game:
    You place a bid
    the next guy gets an email saying i placed a bid then it goes on and on and on until they get the lowest price!

Has anyone ever done this before????

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a loosing game. Good luck with that.

3. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

its a reverse auction. They suck you better know what your willing to give up. This is where the nationals play the game, good luck walk away now hwile you can

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we are in a small enough market that i would phone around to the other 2-3 contractors that could handle this job, and meet them for a coffee :D and work out amoung ourselves who wanted the contract

5. fci

fci Senior Member

I would stay away from this type of bidding. You will always get beat by a low-baller unless your a bigger low-baller. They will get away with it only if they get contractors to play their game. But you could start it going up like a real auction. Bid $10 higher then the guy before you. Quality still matters to some. Usually after a slip and fall !

6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

A reverse auction is a race to the bottom. Its like an excersize to see who bleeds to death last.........

Run, and stick the other two contractors with the unprofitable business, then secure new business that is profitable.

I dont understand retail........the price of miracle whip isn't negotiable, then why would they expect quality service to be?:gunsfiring:

7. alwayz-plowin

i know its soooooo stupid!
    but i now know that there are 3 people/ companies

I know what my lowest offer is and we're close to it so i'll find out if they go below it very soon!
    So if i lose it who cares!

Really if i got this job it would bring in some good cash but i really dont need it since this winters gonna be good to us this year! Got everything mapped out! (getting my commercial stuff back and a few new places)

8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

heck i didnt even get the chance to play the bidding game. i think they are counting on you getting caught up in the excitement and forget about the number you need to stay profitable. good luck let us know how you do

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Meijer usually does those live. I have sat through a few for mowing. I have seen guys bid $30 on a $150 cut just to beat the other guy out. Have fun with that one. I actually had us removed from all Meijer bids opps. They are the cheapest POS customers. Ever think when they only want the lawn cut every other week or so and they don't water or fert... These lawns look like "poop" and the thousands of potential clients that see you working on thses jobs think that it is your poor service. Not worth it to me.

10. alwayz-plowin

Well i lost it but i really dont care!
    Metro- I hear u! These guys are crazy! Doin it this cheap! lets put it this way
    they are "plowing" (Not including salt and shoveling) that lot for what i could plow about almost 5 driveways
    I rather plow 5 driveways!

11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

wow! That is some ***** to know, thanks.......

12. Division

Division Member

Wow,

i cant believe this! when your slammed and show up late they are gonna *****.... when u dont put enough salt down they are going to moan.... crazy!

i do a local independent chinese buffet, they are SO cheap. Last year was my first exp w/ them. Id plow it in earlyAM and they open at 10 am so theyd call and want more salt. Then after the dinner rush, same thing.

I thought long and hard this year... i raised my prices only $200 BUT im gonna plow it last on my route just before open and i put VERY strict wording in contract that 10 am -ish and 3-4 ish if needed are the only times i come out. What the point of plowing/salting just before close?

Cheap @ss peoples!

13. Gary @ Shamrock

Gary @ Shamrock Junior Member

As the gambler sang, "you got to know when to hold 'em, you got to know when to fold 'em." Only *****s bid below their bottom line. When they do that they are bidding to see how much money they can lose. The more they lose, the quicker they'll be out of this business collecting Obamacare or selling widgets somewhere else. Thanks to Meijer and others like them for flushing them *****s out of our profession!

Note that "*****s" rhymes with "boars."

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Actually, it is. Retailers play the reverse auction with each other using prices to see who wins the auction prize -the customer. Unlike us, they have hundreds or thousands of products to play games with and recoup the loss-leader.

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

no interest to be the cheapest.....

16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

this would have been terribly unethical but you could have kept bidding down dirt cheap , won the bid then excused yourself for some reason giving it to the next guy for a horribly low price and hoped he'd fail and you'd get a call back

17. sk187

sk187 Senior Member