1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Harsh Winter Wearing Out Private Plows ( My area)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 27, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Because of this long plowing season this year here.

AMHERST, NY - The harsh winter is taking its toll on all of us, but especially those private plow drivers.

"We're not sure what sleep is actually, you get it when you can," said Larry Brenon II, of Brenon's Landscaping, who adds that this winter has been harsher than the past two WNY winters combined. He says a typical winter brings about 10 days of plowing for his company. So far, this winter, he's been out more than double that -- 22 times. What's especially tough to deal with are the surprise snows.

"Like this morning for example, thought that there was going to be just a dusting, an inch of snow and we wake up, just to go to a couple businesses that need touch up with salting and shoveling and we wake up and we see three plus inches, some spots it looked like five, six inches," he said.

Some plow companies work hourly -- but many work off contracts -- and this year plow companies aren't on the sidelines, unless of course they're worn out.

"We've seen a few plow companies take on so much work that they couldn't handle it," said John Gingerich of Creekside Lawnscapes, who says he's seen this among some small staffed plow companies and that the customers are now looking elsewhere for service.

"We have had a few here that've come and gone and come back because of winter like this," said Gingerich.

And plow companies that are in operation tell us they're seeing customers come back from a couple winters ago when there wasn't much snow and that this is boosting their business.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

thats good to hear,most med size companies needed this heavy snow to weed out a few of the hacks, down side is a few good guys that are still small or new will go too. How you been coping GV? No sitting around for you I take it.

3. grandview

No problem here. just enough to keep me happy.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

How old is that article??? I've been out 33 nights so far this winter, obviously not all plowing nights.... but lots of small nuisence snowfalls for salt and sidewalks... Or are we just getting that much more snow than you guys?

I am glad I have a mix of contract and per push type customers... I'd lose my shirt if they were all contract!

5. grandview

The other day,

6. derekbroerse

So... I've been out 50% more often than him, and HE's complaining about lack of sleep?? :D

How many days/events have the rest of you been out so far?

7. grandview

American puzzy:D

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Wow, GV

I guess there is an advantage to Per push agreements after all.

Glad to hear you're doing okay. You seem to be a decent fella...Thumbs Up

9. grandview

I had to be out at least 20-25 times this season.

10. grandview

This is were the per push could hurt you. You have so many accounts that you can't handle them.

11. derekbroerse

Pretty much.... :nod:

12. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I figured you'd say you start having trouble getting into the truck with your pockets so full of cash :D

13. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Our first outing was November 22nd. I have not had one night that I didn't set the alarm to check once. We have also had lots of small storms with a mix of a few bigger ones. Most sites we have salted around 30 times so far this season. Our salt usage so far this year is just over double of the last 3 years average and its still January. Thank goodness I don't have to many salt inclusive contracts.
    Weird thing is we are getting used to only 3-5 hours of sleep a night and cat naps during the day, but that being said I look forward to spring and warmer weather. A lot has been learned from a lot of contractors this year i'm sure, myself included.

14. derekbroerse

If they pay him in quarters he doesn't need to run ballast!

15. PorcupineL&SC

PorcupineL&SC Junior Member

It's Canada, of course we are gonna get more snow than them! :p

16. derekbroerse

Usually Buffalo and the surrounding area gets blasted pretty good, and I think they have been too...
    Maybe more quantity but less often?

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We've been out 7 times this year, not bad for us. If I plowed 30 to 40 times I'd retire after the season!

18. PorcupineL&SC

PorcupineL&SC Junior Member

Yeah, that's a deciding factor too.

19. derekbroerse

I'm actually worried if I'll have trouble getting paid for all of it... :/ Don't need the hassles, that's for sure....especially after this much work!

20. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

That's only if you don't know your own limitations. I'd be busier than a rooster in a hen house, but at the end of the day, everyone I didn't get to would just have to wait...

So, I'd lose a few.... but at that point, I wouldn't care...:)