1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

harness through firewall '03 2500hd Dmax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowzilla, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I am moving my Hiniker plow to a 2003 chevy 2500hd dmax. Wondered where other people have drilled hole (or found a hole) to get through the firewall for hand controller cable. The hole could be a lot smaller if they would make a coupler to disconnect the large receptacle end for the controller. Thought about cutting the wires and re-splicing to avoid drilling a giant hole.

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

nothing for nothing here. but what about the other end of the harness? instead of sliding the harness from engine bay into the cab, can you slide the opposite end from the cab to the engine bay. just thinking out loud, sometimes we overlook the simple things.

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I guess there is enough length on the hand controller to feed it's plug in through, which may require a somewhat smaller diamater hole. But if you mean slide the entire harness through from the inside of cab, no, Hiniker's harness is a 1 piece deal and has relays that wouldn't work. Thanks for suggestion.

4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

you could just cut the rubber boot that surrounds the main harness going through the firewall and then just seal it back up. It's what i did since on my duramax since someone already had a hole cut in it.. Not too many options on those since there is not much room anywhere!

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Carkey351:, I seen this large boot and thought about using that hole. Hate the idea of drilling a hole through the firewall if not necessary. Maybe I could back feed the male end of the controller through this grommit if I slice a hole. I got rid of my old truck and finally going to use this truck I've had 4 years. Been considering selling my Hiniker & getting a Western Ultra Mount but I think its less money and hassle if I just use what I have.

6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

that's exactly what I did with my meyer plow controller. even ran the wires for the toggle switches through there and then just sealed it up good. I don't think it's all that critical since it is high up on the firewall and not near the slush and stuff. I say cut it and seal it up good. Just don't slice any harness wires!

7. trouble454

trouble454 Junior Member

To the left of the brake booster on the firewall, just above the glow plug controller should be a hole in the insulation or a rubber plug if equipped with factory plow prep package. It is above the throttle pedal on the inside of the firewall. If needed I can snap a picture of mine tomorrow and post it for you.