1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Harness inspection

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by ggb6259, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Had time to kill yesterday while Michigan was getting throttled. Decided to look over the wiring on my MD.

Had a little intermittent stuff going on at the end of last year.

What I found-

Main power harness had the weave covering frayed in several places with the the wires exposed. They were not worn through. This was up near the power unit.

The big o ring where the harness exits the power unit was split and doing nothing. The harness was against the stainless edge.

Pins were filthy.

The plug cap was worn out.

Light harness- Light fraying of the outer mesh and I found several wear spots that had not broken through.

Light connector wires at the lights were exposed where the tape used to seal them had become brittle and flaked off.

Inspected the hydraulic hoses. Found heavy rub on the lower hose wherethey pass through the plow side frame under the power unit. Hard to see but I could definitely feel it, especially on the lower hose which in my case came from the left hydraulic arm.

What I did-

Taped up all the areas where the harness had frayed away and retaped up the light connectors.

Ty wrapped plastic shielding where the cable bundles came in contact with or were close to metal or any wear point. I only added pieces of the plastic cable protecter where it was needed. If I had to do it again I would have taken my lazy butt to Autozone and bought more and just wrapped everything.

The light harness is doubled up as it is ridiculously long on the plow side.

Cleaned the connectors with a degreaser and actually worked on each pin individually. I found that I still have the spring cages in place but they were flattened out. Not sure they are doing anything. I relubbed the conectors with electrical grease.

Checked truck side with no issues other than filthy pins. Cleaned them as well..

Ordered new cage springs last week will order plug caps for the plow side and a new grommet for the power unit. Already submitted for a new dogg sticker for the plow a couple of weeks back.

Springs look like hell with surface rust. I may pull them and repaint.

Plow is 6 years old and I do a few driveways.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

I've had mine a few winters and the previous owner had it for 1-2 winters. Mine has some of the same minor issues. I too go over the whole plow once a year. I do almost a full tear down and re paint, re grease, re torque bolts. I got a new sticker just days after filling out the form. I plan on getting a set of hoses to have on hand as mine look weather cracked.

[​IMG]

3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Wow you actually REBUILD yours every year.. I don'tt go that far. Yours looks new mine looks good.

I may have to do that to mine next year...

Did not get my new sticker yet??? Been a month or so. Will have to shout out to Mooreman...

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I have to tear mine down after this season.. Probably shouldve been done this year but was wat too busy

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Crap, I emailed for a new sticker well over a year ago and never got one.