1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hardwiring Meyer Night Sabre Lights

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Bens95cobra8594, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Bens95cobra8594

Bens95cobra8594 Junior Member

I have a cherry set of Night Sabre lights (gen I) I bought for my 1994 2500 Cheyenne, and used for only a few plows during a season a few years ago. Long story short, the modules are wired for the single sealed beam headlight style on the 1994 2500 Cheyenne.

I would like to install them on my 2001 Sierra, but do not want to buy the $120 kit from Meyers to plug and play them to the headlights. I just want something that could be hard wired with a switch to be turned on when needed and off when not needed.

I'm not really worried about wiring work, I've rebuild several motorcycle harnesses and done lots of wiring work on cars/trucks before. I just need to figure if the modules can be hard wired or if they really need to be plugged into the headlight harness.

Ideally, I'd like a setup that can just be wired 12v+ on a switch and breaker so I can just flip the switch like on the Cheyenne, but the feed to turn on the lights comes from the 12v +, not the headlight signal.

I don't usually plow at night, so the light usage would be minimal.

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You really do not need the modules if you are going to toggle switch the lights , here is the wiring colors for the nite sabre lights :

High Beam Lights - Red Wire
    Common for headlamps- Blue Wire
    Low Beams Lights - White Wire
    Park Lights - Yellow Wire
    Ground for park/turn- Black Wire
    Turn Signals- Green Wire

I would cut the female socket off of the adapters you already have , that way you will still have a "disconnect" if you want to remove the lights and you aren't botching up a set of lights by cutting the plug off of the lights themselves.

HTH

TOM

3. Bens95cobra8594

Ok, cool. Thanks for the response.

Do you per chance know if the Night Sabres require the high beams to work? Or any other trigger signal from DRLs? or anything else?

I just really care about getting something with headlights and turn signals, that's all.

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

As long as you power the High and/or low beam wires through your toggle switch and ground the common's they will function with no input from the truck.

TOM

5. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I just switched from a chevy to a Ford, and I was in the same boat as you, didn't want to buy another light harness or deal with the change over modules anymore. Night Sabre 1's are dim enough that you can just hardwire the brights to the switch and not worry about the low beams. Other than that I just tied the turn signals/parking lamps into the pickup signals and lamps.

l took an old harness I had and plugged it into the Night Sabres and then spliced the wires from there, so I can still un-plug the lights when i want to take the frame off. It's worked pretty well so far, and I like being able to run the pickup headlights and plow lights at the same time.

6. Bens95cobra8594

Okay, cool guys, thanks very much for the help.

Just to make sure, when you say "commons" you mean it's a ground, right?

Just don't want to fry the modules! Those guys are expensive! :)

7. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You do not need to use the modules to use the nite sabres .

Used the wiring guide I provided and a couple of toggle switches , don't forget to fuse the power into the switches.

TOM

8. Bens95cobra8594

Good point, LOL.

I will probably just hardwire the existing lights on switches then... will be easier as the harness I have doesn't fit my truck.

Thanks very much man! :)

9. PALLMAL

PALLMAL Junior Member
    from MAINE

Does some have a wiring diagram they can post for the lnstall of the lights with the toggle switches

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm not sure of the currant draw of these headlights but I wouldn't install them without relays. Just my .02

p.s. the relays come with directions on the back of the card for the wiring.

BAT+----------Fuse-----------------------------------------------------/ (sw)-------------------------Highbeam+
    bat(-)neg-----------------------------grnd-------------------------------------------------------------------highbeam-