1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hardest youv'e seen it snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Dog D, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

How hard have you seen it snow before? I have been plowing commercially for over 20 years in the central Mass area and never remember it snowing as hard as it did last Friday. We had about 6 inches fall in 2 hours accompanied with wind & thunder! I just never recall that kind of rapid accumulation before.

What's your story??
  2. norrod

norrod Senior Member

The Great Blizzard of 77'.

December 1977, Western New York.

We were plowing at a MRC plant for 36 hours straight with snowfall pushing 4" an hour. Could barley see the plow, much less the lanes.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

2 years ago I was skiing at Jay Peak on the Vermont-Canada border. Got on the ski lift and by the time I got off at the top I had 2 inches of fresh powder on my lap, the trip down the hill wasn't easy either, seeming as no one could see more then 5 feet in front of them.
  4. mole

mole Senior Member

the Christmas storm in buffalo four or 5 yrs ago, there is a forum on this with over 2k looks at it, I plowed for three days straight with about 4hrs of sleep. the lake effect just hovered over us. it would drift away for awhile then come back. same thing lightning thounder sun we had it all, I think when it was all said and done we had over 8ft of snow. Funny though 4 days later we had a little heat wave where the temps hit 50 and it all melted then we had floods. it was crazy. I was plowing a drive right next to the one i just did and it looked like I wasn't even there. I think the forum Is in the pictures part or do a search. Or just start a new one asking all the buffalo guys what they thought.

JPMAKO Senior Member

I would have to say the blizzard of 1996

When we got started on our route it was not too bad. About two hours in you could not see the plow in front of you.
    I had two lots about 15 minutes away from our shop. During that blizzard it took over an hour to get there... 12 inches on the ground, by the time we left the lots there was about 9 more inches on the ground.
    I think that the most dangerous part of that storm was traveling. You could not tell were the roads were. and by the time the snow slowed down it was up to the bottom of the doors on my pick-ups. We had to drive with the plows half-down just to get up some of the streets Lots of fun.:cry:
    But the payup was good.
    BTW we were out for 5 days cleaning up after that mess.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

one that I always remember is driving up to my grandmothers house with my father, started snowing early that day, we left around 4 or 5. white-out conditions set in as we were goin through the mountains. headlights were blinding, so we just ran with parking lights on the jeep. i stuck my head out the window to "spot" the snowbank so we knew where the road was. 10mph for 2 hours. That was also the longest ~20-25miles of my life too.
  7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i live right off the east end of lake ontario... we've had our share of 3-4"/hour snowfalls... even better when the wind kicks up while it's happening! largest recent snowfall was 60" in 24 hours, good times.

also, side note: someone mentioned the thunder/lightning... we've had that A LOT this year, probably more this year than all years i can remember combined... anyone else notice this?
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

When I was in college and before I plowed..........Alta, Utah......Feb 1979, snowed over 9' in 3 days......best powder skiing I have ever seen.:D
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Blizzard of 1979 was the worse I have ever seen it in Northwestern Illinois. I can't remember how much we got an hour but I do remember drifts over 9' tall. National guard was called out to rescue motorists on the interstate. Most of the highways had to be blown open with trucks with snowblowers on them. I can remember the roof collapsing on the local mall, due to all the snow. I got pictures that my father took, I'll see if i can find them and post them. We have enver had a snow event like that since, I'd like to see one again, but not have to plow it.
  10. Calamari

Calamari Member

thunder snow

Friday's storm was the most intense 2-hour snowfall I've seen. 25' visibility. The blizzard of '78 was an incredible two-day event for Eastern Mass with coastal flooding that took many homes, but visibility wasn't as bad as those two hours Friday. Several flashes of lighting were seen just north of Boston. Had to plow with all the windows open. Glad I have the rear slider.:D
  11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

4 years ago. I wasn't plowing then. But we got 3' overnight. Told wife don't plan on going to work tomorrow she naturally got pissy saying she's going. Well when I get up she's still home. I say what happened thought you where going to work. Shes like I can't find my car:cry: I had to laugh:D . what happened was is her car was parked where the wind came around house so it just buried her.
  12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

The blizzard we had the middle of last January was comparable in snowfall totals to the storm of '78, and I'd have to say the white-out was just about as bad as it was yesterday. The difference is that I didn't drop my blade until about 4 o'clock, when the worst of it was dying down. I plowed for 5 hours and the conditions did nothing but improve, so for me yesterday was great.

Last January I wasn't so lucky. At the height of the storm, I was doing a very long, windy, hilly, and narrow driveway for a customer whose house is set way back in the woods. Going up the worst hill, the truck just started sliding off the road and there was no stopping her. I ended up wedged up against a couple of trees, which crumpled my bumper and rear quarter and my truck was buried up to the frame in snow. I had no choice but to get out and start digging. After an hour of that, and one of my bags of sand, I got the truck back out onto the road.

I guess my point is I gauge how severe the storm is by my personal level of misery at the time. Shoveling my rig out of that mess at the height of a blizzard with snow blowing sideways and sub-zero wind chills was the worst I've ever experienced, and I don't care to try and top it.
  13. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Friday was bad I was out around 1pm and I could not see anything I plowed one place and when I came back later it looked like I was never there almost.

but I was in Canada NB a long time ago around Xmas and all I know we were there for an extra week and snow piles like hills on the sides of the roads.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

3 inches an hour.
  15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The thunder snow we had here last friday was pretty intense, you could see for about 10-15 feet. Last January as well, same storm John is talking about we had a band drop about 4" in a little under an hour:dizzy:
  16. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

The storm we had this past friday reminded me the one we had last year, the big one day Noreastern during March. At one point I stopped in the middle of one street with my lights flashing, lightning around me and i could barely see my headlights. It was awesome!! We got 4"/hour. probably 10"total for that storm
  17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

when i lived in Leadvil CO ... about 8 years ago , i don't know how much snow we got but it was white out conditions for about 2 hour's. couldn't even make it to this little ski resort that day, Cooper Mt . it was only about a 15 minute drive. :cry:
  18. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Was snowing pretty hard on Friday, but I don't think it's as 'good' as last year's blizzard, in the middle of the night with SICK drifts!
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The snow storm in 95 was the hardest for us we had 40" of wet snow in 24 hrs. We started 6am thursday made in home for monday night football. I had over 100 coffee cups laying on the floor and the stink coming off of me :eek: also towards the end we started seeing little faces in the snow banks laughing at you. :jester: Anybody thats plowed that long knows what i'am talking about.:nod:
  20. polplow

polplow Member

I think the blizzard of 78 was worse. But last friday was close especially because of the time of day it was and that it was not forecasted to happen. Last January's blizzard came in third.