1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Harder spreader, whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by alldayrj, Oct 25, 2011.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

some searching on here shows they have been bought out by Smith.
    http://www.smithspreaders.com/Spreaders/MiniMax/index.php
    also found this
    http://www.smithspreaders.com/Manuals/Series_II_Parts_List_Service_Manual.pdf

but what would you pay for this?
    [​IMG]

I think its really cool that it will fit in a 6' pickup or 8' with a tool box or room for bags or whatnot up front and has a larger capacity than a tailgate spreader. Thats just a tire sidewall hanging as a deflector, I would want to somehow make a QD so I could tow with it in the truck. It just has wire coming out of the motor, would need to figure out a power supply on the truck and some sort of control for it. the seller says he uses forklift plugs and just an on/off switch in the truck. No clue how old it is, he bought it used. I definitely want it but for the right price considering parts availability and age.

So, what would you pay?

2. alldayrj

bump it up

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I had the longer one. Good spreader, he's right on the on/off switch. Big issue I had was the location of the motor. Fireside has a few. Sold mine for $1500.

4. alldayrj

could you tow with it or easily adapt it so you could tow? what was the issue with the motor?

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Do u load by hand or a tiny skid bucket

6. alldayrj

well I have a skid with a 5' bucket, I was thinking I could build some side boards that are angled out and that would solve my problems. the plan is to stockpile on site so I wouldn't need to worry about what loader was at the supply yard

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

No you can not tow with it in, and it wouldn't be worth it to adapt it. The motor hangs upside down on the side there and is easy to damage.