1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Harder Series 1 spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MikesLawns, Dec 1, 2008.

1. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

I picked up a truck at auction with this Harder Stainlee Stel V-box. (Smith Spreader). It's electric with belts not chains and it looks like it's in great shape. I went through it quickly and everything was maintained properly, (greased etc)
    Just wondering how well they work ? I use salt/sand mix and it would be a second spreader for me. Any info would be great.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I just purchased one and completely overhauled it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but was able to speak with one very happy owner. Does yours have the motor mounted on top or one the side?

3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

They work great i have 2 one 5' an one 8'. one was gas converted to 12 volt. sand and salt works good. Just make sure its not mud or you will have problems. Salt runs much better and faster, Used mine sunday for the first time this year 2 yards no problem.

4. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Mines mounted on top. John from Smith Spreaders has been great. I just had the motor rebuilt $200.00 that beats $610.00 for a new one. I just adjusted the belt today so it doesn't dog track anymore. I have to replace the spinner and it's 100%. Glad to here you are happy with it. It looks very easy to repair and it stainless steel. I was thinking about converting it to chain driven instead of belt. I'll wait and see how it does first. Good luck.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

http://leesondirect.reachlocal.com/...Fp%3Dleeson%2Bmotors%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dmoz2

You can get a new motor there for three something. I had mine freshened up for around $120. I like the idea of going with chains. If you have a Motion Industries near you they can make a belt and drive pulley for $300. Last if you need a "takeup/adjustment" roller, my machine guy made mine in stainless so it will last forever!

Fireside it looks like on those pics you sent me your chute is open in the back.... Doesn't the salt fall out there?

6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Sidemount motor unit has a open chute no problems with any salt falling off. I just clean the belt off during the storm to keep it dry.
    As for motors look on ebay they been running 120 brand new in a box.

7. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Does your conveyor dog track on you ? I had mine almost perfect then the motor went. Where did you find the motor on ebay ? Truck parts ? I have to change the gear oil in the gear box to make sure there is no water in there.

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have found that adjusting the conveyor off the truck does no good. Strap the unit in place on the truck than adjust the belt. Each time you set the unit on your truck check the belt before you load it it may need adjusting.It runs true at that point in it final position.
    Search 12 volt motors on ebay depends on the day what you find i found 3 motors for 256 shipped.

9. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Thanks a lot. I might get my 1st chance to use this Sunday AM. I just look at another one with the gear reduction. If these belts don't hold up it's worth changing this over being that I got it for free.