1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard working teenagers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowpusher tim, Feb 2, 2010.

1. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

While plowing at a church I do, 2 teenagers came up to me. The church pays them to shovel the sidewalks when snow is less than 2". We had 3". I got there alittle late. They asked if I wanted them to shovel. I said go ahead, I"ll pay them.

Afterwards, talking to them, they have 3 driveways they shovel for older people. They both are going to college next year and looking for extra money. I am now going to have them do all the walks, and the houses also we do right next to the church. They both expressed intrest in mowing this Spring and Summer for the same older people that they shovel for. I talked to the Pastor and he agreed that these kids were about the best kids around. We"ll help me this summer, and maybe get their customers when they leave for college.

Moral, not all teenage kids are bad. I met 2 very nice and polite kids today.
  2. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

See. We're not ALL lazy punks. There's a few of us OK ones out there.
  3. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Always a pleasure when you come across workers that care about what they do.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Agree and the people that are the lazy punks pi$$ me off alot, esepcially the ones who will get a job and then end up buying pot with all there money or somethig stupid, I actaully got into an argument with one once, about if I had 40k what would I spend it on? A fast car or lawn/ snow equipment. I answerd the lawn and snow equipment because why would you go out and buy a fast car that I would not be able to tow a large trailer with nor plow with. I rather purchase something that I will make money on leagly. But yes I agree alot of teens just don't get it and until they get out in the real world and pi$$ off the wrong guy they probaly won't learn. Those kids you got were a "good find" and not many pol going to college will do hard labor like they were.
  5. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

Farm kids?
  6. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

Not farm kids as we are in the suburbs, just good kids that are involved in their church.
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My neighbor's kids are like that. They mow several lawns in the neighborhood, paint street number on the curbs, shovel snow, etc. They're good kids and end up donating half of what they make back to their church. It's unfortunate that more kids these days aren't like them. Most of what I see are lazy punks who want something for nothing.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Thank you!
  9. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

It all goes back to how they are raised. When my girls turned 16 I told them they needed to get a part time job in the summer. Not that we couldn't afford to support them but I felt they needed to get a taste of the real world then instead of it being thrown at them all at once. After a couple of weeks of getting a check they were asking for more hours and ended up working full time in the summers and part time durring school. Both of them have since graduated college and have very good work ethics.
  10. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

i plow all the older peoples drive on my street and have been shoveling them since i was 12
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My first thought, lol.
  12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Hard working kids are few and far between. Around me they all want to make $20 per hr to start and don't want to show up daily to actually work. I always tell them there are good days and bad days and it all works out. But the majority of them are LAZY!
  13. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

that's how my husband got started. hand shoveling driveways as a teenager, all day.
  14. NW Snow Removal

20$/hr is too much to you?? sounds like we found a low-baller!!! You get what you pay for. good workers are worth the good living you should provide them. Who wants a worker that has to struggle to survive and probably hates their boss? We pay all our guys what they are worth and I wouldn't have it any other way. Learned that from the richest man in the world warren buffet.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Lowballer my ARSS. Reread what you quoted.

You are an idiot if you are starting people at $20 per hr. In my book they have to earn their pay. I have no issues giving them a raise as quickly as I hired them. I will not pay a lazy person decent money to do nothing.

If they come to work every day first off and they actually work and show some ambition I will up their pay almost immediately. In some cases I have actually given new guys a higher rate than what I oritionally told them because they had a great work ethic.

So yes I get what I pay for. I am not going to pay for laziness and stupidity.:nono:
  16. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I will PM my bosses phone #...:jester:
  17. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I know plenty of adults that are lazy. I fired a guy in his mid 40's last october because he didn't put in 40hours for the month. Lazy teens, lazy adults.
  18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Equals leaches on the system!
  19. NW Snow Removal

I have a thorough interviewing process that easily shows any laziness and stupidity and those candidates are weeded out and we still have tons of guys on the waiting list. We are talking about snow shoveling right?? I start guys off at 25/hour for that, but most of them have a blower so i make it easier on them! have 45 workers that are very happy with the strange, wierd long hours winter supplements their income with. We have zero problems with them showing up. If you pay people right, they will be there. if you don't, they will quit. It sounds like you suck at interviewing/providing a job if you have guys that are lazy and not showing up.
  20. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

You are right I suck at interviewing. Thanks for that. Glad it works out for you. Sounds like you got a hell of a great way of weeding out people.