1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hard wiring rotator lamp

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lodogg89, Jan 11, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

I have an ecco 5300 series lightbar. Can i hard wire it into my truck, if so, how big of a fuse do i need to use??
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a mini light bar ? I assume it is. Most full size bars need a controller to use all the varying functions. I just installed a Whelen rotator on our 550, we used the double switch from AW direct, comes with a 40 amp circuit breaker which should be plenty for a 2 motor mini light bar, wiring is simple and the switch is neat and clean.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the plate on it. The thing should say how many amps it pulls. Should be 15 / 20 amp fuse and not pull that much.
  4. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Start with settig up a template from the light bar where you are going to drill. Use paper- poster or cardstock works well, but printer paper will work.
    Now press down the roof of the vehicle with enough pressure to if tell if there are any struts across it. Set up your template so you don't drill into one, and mark the holes to drill with a sharpie.
    Also figure out how big and where the power is going to be. Drill the holes, being careful to just barely poke through the roof so you don't catch the headliner or any wiring that might be there. Clean up the holes a little with a drill but that is a few sizes bigger. Find something to clean up under the roof, such as a small file.
    If your light is near the dome light, unscrew the dome light and run a snake from the hole in the roof to the dome light. Attach the power wire to the snake and pull it through. Pull the trim for the A pillar (at the windshield and door). Now run the snake to the A pillar and pull the wire through.
    If closer to a pillar, skip the dome light stuff.
    Mount the light using silicone sealant liberally around and in the screw holes and the in and around the power wire to keep things dry.
    Put the dome light back in, button up the A pillar, and run the wire to the switch. I am thinking 15A for the fuse. but 20 will work too. Just make sure you put the fuse near the power connection to the vehicle.
    When doing those crimp connections use a little dielectric grease on the wires for good measure.
    Alternate to drilling the mounting holes, you could use self tapping screws rather than sheet metal screws. Make sure you have enough clearance to the headliner.