1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Top strobe

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by sdauto, Jan 12, 2010.

1. sdauto

sdauto Junior Member
    from n.j

Anyone have any Ideas of mounting a strobe on the hard top with out having to drill thru it? Need something but don't want to wreck the top. If you have any pictures that would be a great help too

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Just a thought...you could glue some metal to the top and use a magnetic-mount strobe unit...Of course, the glue would have to be an industrial strength...perhaps even an epoxy?
    No drilling required!:drinkup:

3. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

I went and got a big speaker magnet from my dads shop, and put it on the inside of the top. Therefore it pulls the light in with the difference of polarity from the light and the magnet, No hole, no glue Nothing!

4. sdauto

sdauto Junior Member
    from n.j

P&m

Is that a hard top or soft top you did that with?

5. P&M Landscaping

Hard or soft, done it with both

6. danskool

danskool Junior Member

Good timing on this thread. I also have a hard top and a light in the mail on its way. Magnet mount light. I am depating what to do. I don't want to leave the light up there when it is not plow season. I was thinking on putting a 1/8" thick metal plate up there and screw/seal it down.Would hardly see it it. I will have to try the magnet trick and see how strong it is with the magnet on the inside. Epoxy would work also i would guess. Good stuff of course and i might try that as well. If it comes unstuck because of the cold, then i would screw it down.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

8. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

PL401 construction adhesive from any Home Depot. It comes in a yellow caulk tube. First I painted a large fender washer and glued it down. Did this two seasons ago and its never comming off. Also I use a piece of pipe insulation for the power cord and stopped it from the annoying noise it makes when it rattles on the top.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

removable mount for hard-top

Just updated my approach on a different thread - my removable, hard-top strobe mount.

(cross linking) Strobe caution lite on fiberglass top??
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=39566

Hope ideas and photos help!

10. P&M Landscaping

I took a piece of thin gauged sheet metal and cut two strips out 3"x5" and sprayed them black. I then JB welded them to the roof. I can't even see them on the top, not visible from the inside, and holds my light bar great!

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I used mag mount lights BUT I had tree branches knock them off. They would dangle on the power cord and dent the truck door. So I use ratchet straps now.

12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

13. Korhumel

Korhumel Junior Member
    from Chicago

Had this same issue. I ended up securing down four, square, 1/8" steel plates with Marine Epoxy; They dont budge. Then popped on my magnetic mini light bar. Works great and I've already driven on the expressway with it and had no issues with the glue. I'll post a picture or two tommorow. Once summer roles around, I can pop that sucker off and be ready to go topless.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  14. sdauto

sdauto Junior Member
    from n.j

My top Strobe

Here's what I did someone here gave me the idea used 3m Marine sealewr let it cure for 2 days works great and will never come off. You can barley see the plate with the light off.Plus I use a little small strobe on the rear glass.

000_0005.jpg

000_0007.jpg

000_0008.jpg

000_0009.jpg

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member