1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard to start When hot

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by inconnu, Dec 1, 2007.

1. inconnu

inconnu Junior Member

Bought myself 1981 Ford 150 with fisher plow,it is not injected.Fires right up when cold but after driving 25-30 minutes if i turn the engine off,engine turns over real slow as if the battery is weak and if i let it sit for 15-20 mintues i fires right up again,i have checked the battery it is fine,i suspected the starter so i have got it changed,but still same problem is there,It is a 351 motor,any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

i am not sure if this has anything to do with this or not, but i want to say this happened to me before. Check the ground from the battery to engine, and engine to cab

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya my dad had a ground go bad on his 95 shut if off in the parking lot go in to a store or whatever come out ud have to climb underneath it. check ur grounds

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

does the truck have headers? some headers run real close to the starter motor and get it nice and hot, resulting in slow cranking until it cools back down again.

first step is to check all contacts from battery to solenoid to starter and all grounds. if all connections are good, i'd suspect you may either need a new starter, or in the case of a header too close to the starter, reroute the exhaust or make some kind of heat sheild.

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Id check the timing,if the timing is off alittle there can be a big difference in the way it starts cold or hot.

If its got a lot of miles the timing chain may be worn also causing the problems.

Loosen up the distributer and turn it back just a hair and see if that helps.If it gets worse or no better go the other way.

Best thing would be to use a timing lite if you have one or find someone with one.

you already replaced the starter so I dont see that as the problem.

6. plowdriver900

plowdriver900 Junior Member

its the ground, had same problem w older ford:nod:

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sounds like timming

8. inconnu

inconnu Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys,i will check timing,ground and headers heating up the starter.
    Thanks again.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Put a rebuilt starter in it. The starter absorbs radiant heat from the exhaust and it will not function right. It get's worn out and will not turn fast enough to fire the engine when heated up. I have an extra ignition key so I just let it run till I am done plowing. Pay attention to how the power cable goes on when you take it off. Putting it back on you will thank me for this advice.