1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard to get in gear

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DBL, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

On my 03 ram 6spd first gear is really low so i usually take off in second. as of late ive had to a good bit of force to get it into second when i start. first gear is alright and shifting other gears is fine also but most of the time lately its been pretty hard to get it into second. whats going on here

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Second gear is syncronised, first isn't usually. the syncros may just not be lining up. Try putting it into 3rd or 4th first (while still) to align the gear stack. See if that helps- if so I suspect it is the syncros- not much to do about it tho, at least that I know of.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

so its no big deal

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

nope, not usually a big deal. And very common in all makes and models.

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thanks my only concern is when i first started driving for a towing company i drove an old ford and it was imposible to get into first gear you would have to shut it off and put it into gear at stops and the rear was out in that so im glad its something little

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

try and double-clutch it.

7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

its second and thats the gear i start out in

8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

we had a 93 f-250 diesel at work that wouldn't go into reverse or first when the engine was running, like you had to do i had to shut the truck off to shift. partially i think it was my fault from a bad jump start one day popping the cluth while a trackhoe pulled me, anyway that problem was the slave cylinder, just a thought...hopfully you don't have anything that bad...but they are pretty easy to replace.

9. Slave

Dirt Digger is correct.... I would check the slave cylinder. The slave is a one piece sealed unit. Takes about 30 minutes to change out.... Common issue on Dodge diesels. When is the last time you installed a new clutch? You might be developing issues with the needle throw out bearing in the flywheel as well. Does the hard shifting happen when the truck is cold or warmed up??

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

it doesnt happen all the time but when it does i go into second i go to third then down to second to start off

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

to be safe check the slave cyl on the clutch. 1st check the fluid level.
    then start the truck on a flat surface it will not roll on, step on the clutch and hold it to the floor, put it in gear and wait holding the clutch. Watch for any indication the clutch is grabbing which would indicate the cylinder is leaking. (change in rpm, truck starting to roll, etc).

a bad slave or mis adjusted slave can cause shifting problems, but it should be evident in ALL gears, not just one gear. Same goes for a throwout bearing. IF it's single gear specific symptoms it's single gear specific problem.

Many standard transmissions have syncro issues shortly after building or rebuilding where a certyain gear is tought to get into, could be 1st, or 2nd, or reverse. It is not common to find the issue in 3rd gear or higher because you don;t shift in to them from a stop, only 1, 2 or R.