1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Times Dealing W/ Property Manager

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Well along story short. We are now plowing a large strip mall 12+ acres as a sub-contractor. The property owner wanted to have one contractor do all 30+ stores. And now the previous snow contractor is also the property manager. So we have to go to him for any questions and he receives all the complaints. So today we get a call from the company we work for saying we have fire exits not cleaned, dumpsters not cleaned, snow piles that need to be moved. I told them that I know for a fact everything is cleaned around and the piles are in the right spots. So I run down to the property just to double check, nothing was wrong. I called the company i'm working for too tell them that, I also said that I strongly believe this guy is going to just keep making things up tell he gets it back and he said I will see what I can do. The propery manager is the biggest snow contractor in the area. From the looks of it so far this year he has more than he can handle. I noticed he didn't get to the Walmart across the road til 8 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon on a large mall. Granite are first snow storm was 12+" with 45mph winds. I drove through the Walmart that night after he plowed it and you still could only get in one door and your were lucky to beable to push a cart through the lot. Alot of propery owners complain about there work but dont do nothing about it. I just think he is scared now that there is a new company competing with them and doing much better work. Are property never had more than 2" on it and when the storm was over we had all bare pavement. Sorry it wasn't short (vent over)
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

pictures...keep a camera with you at all times, nothing beats photo evidence
  3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Obviously, I'd be curious to know who this is. Am I correct in reading that the previous contractor has now become the property manager? How did that happen? Seems like a conflict there for sure.

I would collect pictures with timestamps and if the pattern continues, go above his head... it is harassment and unprofessional and I'm sure his boss would not appreciate him dragging their name through the mud. I personally have contributed to the demise of a couple of managers and enjoyed it because they had it coming.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see how you can get screwed for doing good work. Keep it up.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It happens.

We already lost a large account because they complained we did not keep the lot "wet" during that 8 inch dumping of slush. The complaint was not that it wasn't plowed properly or correctly but that the whole 7.5 acres was not kept "clear and wet" throughout the storm.

What it came down to was they had 2 maintenance men that "use to plow it" with company trucks and plows. Both of these guys complained and moaned like old women with wore out batteries in their BOB's.

Fact is the plant is down from a 24/7 operation to 4 10 hour days a week 3 weeks a month. They need the hours and so figured that by complaining about us enough and telling their boss they can do it better the hours would flow their way.

Well it worked and it will be interesting now to see how these 2 guys do it with older company trucks and older 7.5 plows.

Places like that hurt $$ wise when lost but to tell you the truth I would rather not do it with all the complaining that was done.

Example and I will shut up.
    Between 3:30 AM and 5:30 am that morning it snowed 2+inch's. These 2 guys were there watching us plow taking pictures. The big boss came in at 5 AM just when his parking spot was done and salted. By the time he walked to the door snow had made his tracks white again.

He called me on my cell phone and asked why the lot was white again. ??? :dizzy:

He saw I had just plowed it as he came in. He saw it was snowing like gangbusters.
    The salt literally could not work as fast as this guy wanted.

Rather then frustrate myself and get ticked off about it I figure it will be a good laugh on their 1st 5 inch+ snow when I drive by to another lot.

There is no pleasing some people who have unrealistic expectations and already have it in their minds that you are screwing them. No matter if you are or not. If they think you are it is a fight from the very 1st push.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

stick a truck on his lot only just for that lot and charge by the hour until the storm is done. That is the only way you will get around these people. Sounds like you have a PITA seasonal
  7. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Well my story gets even better... So yesturday I was at the property replacing a bulb on are loader and I recieve a phone call from the company we are working for. he said " we just recieved a phone call that the snow pile out in front is in violation of city laws" I told him its in the same spot that the Prop. Mgr. put it when they plowed. So I then called the city and they sent someone down " he said there is no violation here, who called about it" Then I said I dont know. He then said " I bet it was the Prop. Mgr. just trying to make a complaint.
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

time to send a formal letter of harrasement to all parties, mention your lawyer, see where that goes, i wonder if it is worth getting sued to this guy!!!
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

as a another thread where a condo association president cancelled a contract for a self serving reason, you could also go to the people this guy works for, and let them know what is going on. There is a company around here that does similar things when he looses contracts, phones in to anyone that well listen and complains a lot
  10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Yeah, you need to do an end run around this guy. Get to the person the ultimately writes the check. It is childish to ask you to carry the expense of fixing issues that this guy is creating out of spite.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, some people. I just don't understand them. Sounds like the guy is sour grapes about it.
  12. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Is who your working for Winter Services and the prior guy is the contractor who had the properties before them??? Sounds like a bunch of BS!
  13. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I know of the guy you are stuck dealing with and from what I've heard about him, this will keep going at least until either he is no longer the property manager or he gets the lot back. I'd think the best thing you could do is take your complaint to whoever is in charge of him. I dont think its just you that gets this treatment from him, its all his competition.
  14. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I can't stand people. What comes around goes around
  15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can start wasting his time. Every time you get called back ask that the PM be present to show and explain what is wrong and how he would like it fixed, Then have him go around the rest of the property to make sure everything else is done to his liking and then have him sign off on the work. If he leaves the site after the inital drive around, make him come to sign off.