1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard surfacing cutting edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by vincent, Jan 10, 2010.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Back when I was growing up on the farm, we hard surfaced disk blades, cultivator shanks and moldboard plow blades to prevent wear. Can this be done on a cutting edge?

For those who don't know this process, you would use (can't remember the size or kind of welding rod) along the base of the blade. In other words, you would run a bead or multi beads to thicken the blade so to speak.
  2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Never tried it on the cutting edge, but back when I used to run shoes, I used hard surface stick welding rod to extend there life.

My son works for a company that does it for dredge teeth. They use hardened wire feed. Dont see why it wouldnt work on a plow?
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think if you had the equipment and time and nothing to do and were bored it might be worthwhile. But to pay someone to pull the edges off to add a quarter inch to them would never pay.