1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard starting when cold

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by alaskabound, Mar 15, 2006.

1. alaskabound

alaskabound Junior Member
    from Lodi Ca

I have a 98 Dodge Dakota v8 5.2 liter. Just recently it has developed a starting problem in the morning. The engine turns ove fine but won't lite up. After turning engine over for about 15 seconds it acts as if its flooded. I have not touched the throttle pedal. I had my wife come home early to setup the tow truck and the darn thing started. This was around 4 pm without the truck ever getting to run that day. The repair shop had it overnight and it started just fine so home I went with it. This morning the same thing... turns ove but doesn't start. I live in Lodi Ca. just south of Sacramento so its not freezing cold,judst nippy. HELP !
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, my guess is temp- you start it first thing in the morning which makes it colder than when your wife started it at 4pm- ambiant air temp makes a huge difference. Odds are the shop started it in the afternoon too.

Intermitant problems are a nightmare, could be lots of things, I would run a scanner on it and see what the computer has logged it might provide a clue of where to start, otherwise back to the shop and tell them the same thing you told us- if they don't catch what I did find a new shop, cause they won;t catch the problem either.