1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Starting Sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terraventure, Jan 20, 2009.

1. terraventure

terraventure Member

I have a 4 yard Swenson MDV Spreader that I bought brand new this year. It is a major pain to get started. It has the 10.5 B&S engine. I choke it and crank a bunch of times and than give it some throttle and crank some more. I have to crank so much that it kills the battery and I have to jump it. I had the same engine on my Downeaster and it would start up at any temperature with a little choke. This thing is pissing me off. I am not much of a mechanic. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Did you try starting fluid?

It could be flooding.

How cold?

Try a tune-up?

I have a tecumseh in mine, it runs great except when it's below zero, I have to take the plug out, give it a sniff and off she goes for the duration.
  3. tc21

tc21 Member

Is the throttle moving to the choke position? Have someone throttle up inside the cab while you watch for choke. Also try using synthetic oil.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

got gas in it? you would be suprised. does it have good spark? throttle works as tc21 asked?
    when it does run do the rpm fluctuate? spray wd-40 or break away into the air cleaner. the oil will lube the rings boosting compression.
  5. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Fuel Filter First,Drop The Bowl Spray Carb And Choke In All Orafices,Check Float Settings
  6. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I agree with tc21.If it is not firing when cold starting your choke linkage may need to be adjusted.After it is warmed up will it restart then?
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Take the cover off the air filter/ leave airfilter on / give it a shot of starting fluid / if it fires up and runs / its a choke / fuel availibility problem