1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Starting 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by d4c50, Nov 26, 2008.

1. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

I bought my F250 new in 2000 and it has always been hard to get started when the temp drops below 32. I've had it back to the dealer the first couple of years I had it and let them keep it for a few days at a time and it always started rite up for them they said. Some times it may take 10 min. or so to get her going and its always started but makes you wonder sometimes. Last week I was working out of town and the temps were in the teens and I had to crank on her for 20 min. or so. When it do fire up it puffs alot of white smoke and rev's up and down but after awhile when it warms up it will run just fine. There was no place to plug in on the job. Any of you Ford Guys have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,
    d4c50

2. jayw

jayw Junior Member

Sounds like a glow plug relay to me

3. sno&go

sno&go Member

Glow PLUG relay.

If the glowplug relay is not the problem, you may have faulty glowplugs. NOT expensive for the parts but labor could set you back. I did mine in about an hour and a half but I'm also a mechanic.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member