1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard starting 1998 GMC 2500 WTF!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by meathead1134, Dec 11, 2008.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Greeting all,

I am having an issue with my truck 5.7L GMC today hard starting. It cranks and cranks and dosen't start until I floor it while starting it after about 15 seconds. I think it losing its prime so thats why I have to floor it. I've had a tune up about 5K miles ago, fuel pressure is 60LBS, EGR valve is good. I had the ignition switch switch replaced a while ago along with the fuel pump relay. All dash lights lite up like normal when trying to start but this truck usually starts in a second. It eventually turns over but then it has a slight hesitation when I step on it. Any ideas on what the hell is going on? I dropped the truck off at the mechanic today and he is looking into it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

What does the fuel pressure do when u turn the truck off? Does it hold within 5 psi of where it was in 5 or 10 min after?

3. meathead1134

from MA

don't know, truck is at the mechanic and he is looking into it. I was told that the EGR valve was good and it had 60 psi of fuel from him. Hope it don't get 2 expensive

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Well Thats where id look, but let us know what he says. Where in ma are u?

5. meathead1134

from MA

Will do, Not far from you

Attleboro

6. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Truck absolutely HAS to have 60psi+ to start.. It could be at 57 and it will just sit there and sputter and pop and fart and wont start. The poppet style injectors need that pressure to open. Just so you know.. HAS to be up there,.. Make sure.

7. meathead1134

from MA

truck is fixed, a valve in the fuel sending unit went bad it was stuck open so it was getting to much fuel flooding the truck.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

How does the sending unit allow an injector to let in too much fuel? But it's fixed?

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

There is a valve in the sending unit? I know about the pump sitting in it, and the fuel level arm.... but thats it.. I think he may mean the pressure regulator or something.

10. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Thats what i thought when he said it, regulator. Unless its a returnless system where the regulator IS on the sending unit.. Not sure, havnt worked on that system yet.

11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Shouldnt be......