1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard start today.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DieselSlug, Dec 23, 2009.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Yesturday the truck didnt want to start, well i mean run... It was not plugged in and the temp was about 19 degrees. I hit the key and let it glow, it started chugged real rough and died. The next few times i hit the key it turned over and skipped a couple times trying to take off but wouldnt. THen i hit the key and tapped the accelerator a few times and it started rough, ran rough for a min or so and was fine. Today it did the same thing but a little worse. I plugged it in for an hour this morning before i started it, but it still did not want to start. Everytime i park it for a couple hours it will start but almost die, not miss like its waiting for a cylinder to get warmed up, but die like its running out of fuel. But it wont completely die it will pivk right back up and stay idleing. All of this has only happened when it is cold. The plugs are duraterms and all have power to them but i have not ohmed them out yet. I want them to glow longer, but i want to wait untill i get the heath chip. (dont like splicing wires...) But it has always fired right off up untill the other day. It usually runs rough for a min but starts and stays running. So it seems like its running out of fuel to me. SInce it would start for a second but then die. The tank was filled 2 days ago and should have some left over power service in it from the half tank before. But could the fuel be gelling? Could the heater in the fuel manager be going? I have let the WIF spout drain into a cup while running and it didnt die. Just putting this thread out for ideas. Let me know, thanks!

2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Sounds like fuel flow problems to me. How old is the fuel filter? Did you fill it with Bio-Diesel or straight dino? Number 2 or Winter Blend? If it's been running fine up until this fill up, you could probably fix it real quick with a bottle of anti-gel additive. I doubt very much that the problem is related to the glow plugs.

3. DieselSlug

I replaced the fuel filter when i rebuilt the engine about 4k miles ago. THe filter had been sitting in my basement for a while tho.. I will add some white power service tonight, i dont have any money right now till pay-day for the 911 stuff due to christmas of course. I am not at all sure on the diesel, it has to be winter blend, i always buy it from my local fuel station, its the cheapest. I did fill it monday night tho, and the issues started tuesday morning....

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Check your fuel and ensure your using the Winter Grade. If ya got glow plug trouble it will show up on the cold mornings. Could be either one.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This is a 6.5 correct? If so I think they all do that

6. DieselSlug

The glows are 2-3 months old,replaced them when i replaced my engine. Shouldnt have any issues, i have power to each one, checked with a test light. I will def put some p/s in it tonight....

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

When I first got my truck the glow plug module went bad, it's sort of a controller for the glow plugs. But if your glows are powering up it's probably not that. I also had to replace the heater element in my fuel manager, iirc I couldn't buy just the element, I had to change the whole filter manager which is stupid. But again, if the truck runs good once it's warmed up, then the fuel heater isn't likely the cause. Other possibility is a bad tank of fuel, either dirty/watery because the tank at the station was low and you were getting crap. A gas station pump tech told me one time not to get fuel if the pump runs slow. He said it means the filter is clogged, the fuel has a bypass which pumps really slow and gives you unfiltered crap.
    Last winter my truck started acting up, for some reason I couldn't back up, it would choke and smoke and eventually stall. It would go forward but still ran poorly. Checked everything, eventually pulled out the fairly new filter and it was pretty black. Not the worst I've seen, but I replaced it anyway, and it ran like a charm, so that filter had to be the problem. Even if it doesn't seem that old, 4000 miles can be a long time if you get one or two tanks of dirty fuel. Fuel filters always the first place to look.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

One other thing I learned, I used to only buy fuel from the Irving because it's the closest to my house. Got a tank of water one time, and of course it was when I was going to the mountains towing a bunch of atvs and all my buddies were with me. Truck struggled the whole way. I had to keep adding a water seperator and topping off the tank with fresh fuel every time I got the level down some. Worked it through in about a day or so. But this was warm weather too. Anyway, I also got a can of regular gas for my mower there, and it was half water. So I now try to buy only from the Shell (American company, gulf product not middle east) I now find my fuel filter lasts much much longer, I used to have to change it twice as often, now it barely looks dirty when I check it. Been at least five years now and no complaints at all with Shell fuel. I would be really hesitant about buying fuel from a place that isn't a big national company, because they buy sketchy fuel on the spot market, their tanks may be dirty and if they don't move a lot of volume then the fuel is old, contaminated crap. If this place isn't selling a lot, or buying spot market, that may be summer fuel.
    After re-reading your post and realizing this started the morning after getting fuel, I'd certainly suspect bad fuel. Diesel 911 is magic if you're really froze up, but if it will at least run you can use the white bottle, put a lot in and run it, use up the fuel and keep adding fresh, quality fuel to improve the mix. If it won't run, I'd drain the tank. You can pull the line off the back side of the lift pump and drain it into buckets, open the filler cap if it won't flow. Maybe try draining some just to see what it looks like before it gets to the filter.
    Good luck!

9. DieselSlug

I have a story about that fuel station tho that might be nice to know. I dont have time to type it all out now so i will tonight after i get back from work.