1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hard shifting tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rewoodworking, Dec 19, 2003.

1. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i have a 2000 gmc 2500 automatic when it is shifting from first to second it shifts hard but not all the time and sometimes harder than others truck has about 36000 miles

i also had a 2000 chevy that is doing the same thing

2. rewoodworking

well i gess i am the only one with this problem

3. 3D Lawncare

3D Lawncare Junior Member

does your truck do it when it cold, if so it does it for a reason. GM has it do that to keep the rpm's higher to warm the motor faster. But if it just does it when it wants the filter and fluid may need to be changed.

4. rewoodworking

i will try it today thanks

5. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

It sounds like a clogged filter, but it might be the modulator valve sticking or a cracked hose.

6. rewoodworking

OK i changed my filter and fluid so far so good only time will tell :(

7. rewoodworking

ok i changed it and it do not hard shift for a couple of days but it did it today ( twice):realmad: :confused: :confused: :(

8. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Could be the modulator valve.

Theirs a hose there too, I think they call it a bypass hose, it may be cracked.

Does it just stick when you first pull out, and seem to do O.K. after you get going?

9. rewoodworking

always when i start out when im going its fine only when i come to a stop and then go but not all the time

when i was in oh temp went up in mountins and it hard shifted in all gears but i got back and changed filter and oil and it seemed fine

10. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Here is the GM service bulletin dealing with this exact problem. #01-07-30-023. There is an update valve body to correct this problem. A spool valve in the valve body sticks when the vehicle gets warmed up. Usually starts occurring on vehicles with 36K or more miles on it. The bulletin gives the part # for the updated valve body. Your truck should use GM part #22221161 for 5.7L or 22221162 for the 4.8L or 5.3L engines. Transmission broadcast code (those letters on that sticker on the inside of the glovebox door) should be matched to the bulletin just to make sure. I can give you the broadcast codes if you need them. Let me know. good luck.

11. rewoodworking

will gm fix it on a recall

12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

NO. It is not a recall notice. It is just a bulletin acknowledging the problem and the associated repair unless the truck is still under warranty.

13. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

JMR
    Any way you can post the whole bulletin? My truck is doing that same thing. It has 35,000 mile on it and is going to the dealer this friday to be checked. It might help if I give them somewhere to start looking.

Thanks
    MAC

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I could e-mail you the bulletin if you need it. It is not an attachable file type. A good repair or trans. shop be able to make the necessary repairs without removal of the transmission from the vehicle. Or if your mechanically inclined you might be able to do it yourself. Usually a job for a professional technician.

15. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

JRM
    Can you email it to me? Cut and paste is fine.
    Thanks

mac3897@hotmail.com

I appreciate it.

16. rewoodworking

if you don't mind send it to me also i am out of warranty so i have to do it myself

17. RUSTYplowtruck

RUSTYplowtruck Junior Member

Late model chevy shifting

I have a 99 z71, is there a tow/haul button? Mine has one and when it's engaged, it shifts really late. I couldnt fiure it out at first, but its nice when you have a load so it dont shift constantly up and down

18. JMR

JMR Senior Member

This bulletin applies to 96-00 trucks. If you need a copy get me a e-mail address. MAC3897 I e-mailed you a copy, but I'm not sure if it applies to your truck. The bulletin # is 01-07-30-023 any good repair shop should be able to look up this bulletin by #.

19. rewoodworking

20. JMR

JMR Senior Member

GM also has a TSB for the 2002 trucks. TSB # 01-07-30-030. I can e-mail it also to anyone who needs a copy. It is a different repair procedure. As always verification of the problem and strictly following diagnostic procedures should be done before proceeding with TSB updates.