1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard shifting E40D

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark13, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has a 94 F250 with the 7.5 and E40D auto trans. Truck has around 80k on it. They said sometimes it shifts normal/smooth and othertimes it shifts very hard to the point it's hard on your neck. Sounds like mostly going into overdrive is where the hard shifting is noticeable.

Ideas?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That not good.

I have heard lot about this problem.

It could be electric wiring not contact right due dirty.

or electric soluied is sticky.

Is that truck have plow or tow heavy trailer?

If transmission is bad I would convert to ZF 5 manual transmission so he won't deal with E40D if it broke again.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The truck has a life of ease. It just gets driven around without actually being worked at all. No plow and I'm not sure if it even has a hitch on it.

4. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

My truck has done this a couple times wear all of a sudden it shifts rough. pull the pos. cable of the batt and put the headlights on then let it sit for like 10mins. Some how a code trips and causes it to shift rough. pulling the batt cable off and turning the lights on drains the power from the truck and resets that code. thats what i've had to do with mine. It only happened on start up, it wouldn't just do it when you were driving. If your friends is the same case hope that helps

5. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Hey did your friend ever figure out the tranny problem?