1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Shifting Dodge?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 27, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

:help: I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 V10,and recently it has just started shifting at a high rpm and very firm going into 2nd gear and going into 3rd gear.Sometimes if I let off a little it will go into gear.I'm thinking sensor but maybe not.It almost feels like my tranny grew a shift kit over nite.If I get on some dry pavement and from a stand still and I put it to the floor it goes through the gears very smooth and nicely its only when I drive it nicely that it shifts firm in those two gears.And I mean firm like snap your head back firm...So what do you guys think? :confused:Oh here's another one why is it riding so damn rough lately.Ever since I replaced my track bar,sway bar links,pitman arm, it rides rough or is it just a coincidence,How do you know your shocks are junk on suck a heavy truck?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  2. danno

danno Senior Member

have you checked the level ? Sometimes it will prolong the shift points that way.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The only time I notice my shocks are bad is in winter with the blade on the front and my ballast (800-1000 lbs) in the rear. I have needed shocks for 3 years now... but I forget every spring.

The valve body in the tranny could have dirt in it- one of the solonoids is probabily sticking tho. I had a very similar problem right after my tranny was rebuilt- it was one of the solonoids sticking. Check your fluid and maybe change the fliud and filter (if you have a shop you trust have them do the fluid and filter (adjust the bands while they're in there- mechanical adjustment in that tranny) and check out the valves.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Check the TPS, it could be causing the problem your having.

5. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

how many miles do you have on that truck, and when it shifts hard at what rpm are you is your trans shifting. Does it seem like the trans is holding in 2nd to long?

6. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Where is the TPS and can it be cleaned or does it have to be replaced?

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

TPS is up on the throttle body, if I get a chance today I'll snap a picture for you and give you the procedure to test it. It may be able to be cleaned, most often though they need replaced.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  8. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) is located on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle linkage, held on with two screws. If that tests ok, it could be the transmission pressure control solenoid or wiring. When the solenoid is bad or does not recieve signal from the PCM it defaults to allow 100% line pressure, resulting in hard shifts all the time regardless of throttle position. It is pulse width modulated and in layman's terms allows the PCM to perform the function of the old lever style rod you used to see on the older Mopars. If you have access to a scan tool, see if there are any trans codes stored. as not all trans codes will illuminate the check engine light.

9. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I have 210,000kms on my truck and yes your right thats ecactly it.It holds in second for like ever......Sometimes.......Its intermitant and there is the right amout of ATF in it.HELP :confused:It';; rev to like 3500 rpm then shift of sometimes if I'm lucky and I lift off the throttle it'll shift... but hard.I have just about enogh of this truck lately it better start behaving or it'll be sitting in the GM used vehicle lot.lol

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005