1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Packed Snow

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Suggestions please. Had a big storm go thru last week during the day and by the time we plowed, the main driving areas were packed down pretty good. Normally, no one around here spreads straight salt, we use crushed gravel with about 5-10% salt mixed in. Would spreading straight salt help to get rid of the hard packed snow? In most contracts, does it state that you will clean down to pavement?

2. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Where I am from spreading straight salt is the standard practice. My customers would not be happy if I put down any sand or aggregate of any type. Actually I just picked one up today that fired the prior company bc they used sand. But to answer your question yes straight rock salt should burn that down. If there is alot you may hit it with salt then wait a little while and then plow the slush up then apply salt again and that should get ya wet pavement. Unless it is wickedly cold where you live and im that case Im not real sure as the coldest I have ever delt with is about 0 farenheit and salt was still doin ok for me a little slow but still worked.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You could even buy a few bags of sidewalk icemelt and spread it with a cheap-o fertalizer push spreader if the area is not huge.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Thats what I would do.
    Your contract will tell you if they want bare pavement

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

It was very cold right after the storm, -18f. Which didn't help. What temperature have you had success with salt too?

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

salt will still work with extreme cold temps, it just won't work quickly. for cold temps like you're talking i know people use either treated salt or salt with magnessium added to it. a bit pricy but does the job as far as i know

7. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Today I picked up an account where the driveway was not done two days ago when we got a little snow. It's a VERY steep concrete driveway and I couldn't even get my plow truck up it because they had packed it down to ice. Had to use calcium chloride, let it melt it down a bit and break that ice and pack snow out by hand. Took almost three hours, absolutely miserable. I told the customer that I would not be able to plow his driveway this season, but that if he wanted I would be willing to come and throw calcium chloride down whenever we had snow coming in. He is fine with that, I simply don't have the time to take an account that is going to eat up 2 hours of my time. Even if this guy was willing to pay $200 for me to plow it out, I just don't have the time. I told him it would probably take about 200 pounds of chloride with a cost to him of about $100 give or take depending on my cost for the chloride.

Back on topic, throw some de-icer down and let it burn in for a while.

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicMaybe just wait until a "chinook arrives" and plow it off then, Salt doesnt work well below minus 13 F, could go to calcium flakes though. Do you have a loader?????????????????/

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I Got a couple of compact loaders and skids.