1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard pack snow/sleet removal plow????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ppandr, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Living here in Dirty Jersey I see a fair amount of wintry mix. Today while beating the crap out of another truck I was thinking...... Has anyone ever seen or fab'ed a duckbill system for the cutting edge of a standard plow.

This would be for drives where fixed blade equipment is not practical. Weight and down pressure is not the problem just blade tripping. I was thinking of taking a piece of 3/8 x 6 flat stock and fabbing brackets so I could bolt it to the existing cutting edge. The secondary "blade" would be at a 20 degree angle to the ground. This way the angle stock would wedge under the sh*t and force it up and hold the blade down. Even if the blade tripped the secondary blade would still be 90 degrees to the ground. Granted this would be built on a secondary plow truck/jeep with a beefed up frame.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

PP,

I feel your pain man!!

This mixing precip or snow then a little rain sucks!!!!! At a previous employer someone had an idea like that, we went to our plow dealer and asked his thoughts, guy is a trip, old man been plowing snow since they did it with horses, but anyway his words to me were and I qoute "that ******* thing wouldnt last 5 mins you knucklehead", and this was years ago.... After he told me what he thought of the idea he said "c'here son let me show you somethin" and we walked out the back of his shop and he showed me exactly what you descibed. He said he had tried it like 10 yrs ago thinking it would be the newest hottest thing to hit plowing since power angle blades. Well as it turns out the second edge cacthes things the plow normally rides over and when it does trip it still flips down and stays there like a regular blade. So thus "that won't last 5 mins" and a cracked frame on the jeep he was using with it. So if you go ahead good luck!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  3. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The easiest way without killing your truck or plow....

SALT!!!!!!!

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There's a local guy who uses a disc mounted to the 3 pt hitch on the back of a small JD tractor to break up hard packed snow. It works really really well. After he loosens an area up he turns around and pushes it into a pile with his loader.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Wise words indeed!

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

We do salt when a customer wants to pay for it. In fact we do have it a an option (residential driveways) The problem lies in the fact that even if salt it takes much longer and return trips to clear and with 85 drives (nevermind commercials) to do this takes hours upon hours more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Shaw's in Florum Park? There aren't to many "old timers" plowing with jeeps.

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Vandines, Hackensack

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

True, but it's you're job as the professional to educate and inform your customers of that and factor it into their needs, then service and bill appropriately.

I will return for such things but they get charged- when it's a mix laden year many complain, but when they realize it's the same everywhere they know they have to deal with it. I lost one customer last season over that- we had mix for several storms in a row and I couldn't clear it (back drag drive). She didn't want to pay for salting. When the neighbor kid gets his jeep stuck and does the same thing with the mix storms, her price is going up when she calls back. Meanwhile, her neighbor paid for a crew of 2 to salt, shovel, chip and pick the drive clean because she knows she needs it.

Maybe you need to move to pre-treating with liquid. If you can charge for that is debatable (see the ice forum).

BTW Sponsor Back Drag Blades edge might help once you have salted. Remember, anything that does not give IS going to do damage when you catch something immovable- either to your truck or to the customers property.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

oh man i ran into this stuff this morning big time! i wanted to go slow so when the plow caught something it wouldnt hit too hard an break something, but I found i just had to go a little quicker because my jeep was sliding all over the place and just not pushing anything. i hate this crap!!

12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think on issue is plow weight. My 8611 will scrap down better than my brothers 8' fisher will on the same lots same at the same time. I wouldn't want to do driveways with it though.
    Have you thought of pre treating the driveways with majic or something like that?