1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Ox Steel vs Stainless Steel on Normand280-92

Discussion in 'Normand Snow Blowers' started by SnowClear, May 8, 2014.

1. SnowClear

SnowClear Senior Member

I'm considering stainless steel for the main cutting edge this next season. I used the hard ox steel blade for the main cutting edge and was very impressed with how well it held up (very little wear), however I'd like to reduce rust stains on concrete and pavers.

I'm aware that stainless will wear faster than hard ox, but will stainless wear faster than the standard steel edge or about the same? Is the cost of a stainless edge too expensive to even consider?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You realize stainless is more brittle than other steels?

I wouldn't think this would be a good idea.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

We almost had a stainless edge made too. The factory steel edge wore out after 8 events. We met with a guy about doing stainless, but decided to try AR 400 instead. I was quite happy with it, we have more than 30 events on it, and have not flipped it over yet, but we will flip it for next year. I was also happy that it didn't leave any really noticeable rust stains.
    we also had our edge made 1" wider, so we could pull the top link on the 3 point hitch in, to give the edge better cutting ability, with out the side plates wearing down.

4. SnowClear

SnowClear Senior Member

Adding an inch... nice touch. I've noticed the side plates touching down on occasion.

Thanks for the recommendation.

5. SnowClear

SnowClear Senior Member

Nope, zero metallurgical knowledge. Thanks for letting me know.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Most contractors in the Quebec market use the stainless, because it will not leave behind any rust. It can still scratch the pavers or concrete but in the spring there not be any rust stains. I will try and find out how it wears compaired to the regular steel cutting edge.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Shows what I know.

8. SnowClear

SnowClear Senior Member

Thanks and no rush. Thumbs Up

9. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I checked out our drives after using the Hardox edge for about 80% of the winter we had. There was VERY little, if any rust marks left from the Hardox edge.

10. South Paw

South Paw Junior Member
    from Ontario

Anyone else have any info/experience with hard ox cutting edges? I'm deciding between that and a poly edge. Although poly wears quickly and tivar is very expensive. I service all asphalt laneways with some interlock stone around the edges.

11. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

If you are primarily doing asphalt, I'd go with Hardox. If you worry about scratching, just lay the blower slightly flat. If you can, just don't clear the interlock paver bricks. I do several drives with paver stone and brick. No appreciable damage so far.