1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hard on the truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jer79, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jer79

jer79 Junior Member

i will soon be purchasing a used half ton pick-up with a plow on it from about 110 miles from home. I was told it is hard on them to drive long distances with the plow on,(front end bearings can get hot,etc.) should i trailer it or take the plow off? or just take backroads home at 45 mph?

2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If it was 10 degrees out no problem, just drive it home. I would put the blade on a trailer or in the box, if it was me.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

WHat he said

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends on the plow. If it has a chain then chain it higer and the air will flow below it. Plus angling it helps alot too. The bed is your best bet like was said.

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i would put the blade in the bed also. especially with a 1/2 ton they seem to over heat easier. good luck with the new rig

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would put the blade in the box for sure.

7. jer79

jer79 Junior Member

thanks, back of the truck it is