1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hard cold starts, fine when plugged in?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by alldayrj, Feb 7, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The truck will sometimes stall and eventually start and stay running, but very rough when its cold and not plugged in. If I plug it in, its fine, but you cant always plug it in :mad:
    the facts-
    not losing coolant
    just changed oil and filter, both motorcraft
    white/light grey smoke when cold started/not plugged in
    checked FICM at the beginning of winter and it was ok

I read lots of threads but in a few I read that it just needs a reflash, will that throw a CEL with my EGR delete? ( no egr valve plugged in). that would be great since I prefer not to throw parts at this expensive motor. I didn't see this particular issue addressed with the reflash, just debated on a few EGR delete threads, forgive me if it has been.
    thanks guys
    a pic for motivation
  2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

very normal . it's called "stiction" . research it on any diesel site . try REV-X with ur next oil change . then fire it up in 20* temps with out being plugged in .

i can guarantee you , it wont bwahh bwahh .
  3. alldayrj

not glow plug related ?
    can I add that to my current oil? My next oil change will be during the spring. its expensive, but very cheap if it fixes the problem haha.
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Sound like injectors that are sticky.

I had couple guys told me they use 10W30 synth in 6.0L during winter for this reason.

I switch from 15W40 DINO to 5W40 synth in 7.3L with 220K miles it made huge improve on cold start. With 15w40 it was so thick and you couldn't ever drive until it warm up 5 min before it can go anywhere.
  5. RepoMan1968

get er done . REV-X . then ur oil change will be up to 150.00 . but no bwahh bwahh .
    no one ever said diesels are cheap . try it , you'll like it .
  6. RepoMan1968

i could have sworn i just posted that he had a stiction issue ., therefore , sticky injectors .

i guess some people just read the thread and post w/o reading all the posts

img uilty of that too
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. alldayrj

ordered it, what the hay.
    If it doesn't work you will be getting a bill for $72 (joking)
  8. Milwaukee

Yes I read your posts but it easier to say Sticky injectors compare to Stiction.

6.0L can running on 10W30 synth.

I wonder if this poster use 15w40 motorcraft dino those are THICK honey to flow though injectors in winter time.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I believe he was stating his opinion, like you did. Just happens to be the same opinion. Just because you said it, doesn't prevent anyone else from re-stating and confirming your opinion.
  10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the truck starts fine cold plugged in, but not when unplugged, i would look at the glow plug circuit.
    with a test light turn the ignition on and check for power into and out of the glow plug relay. if you have power out it is between the relay and glow plugs. if no power out try changing the glow plug relay.
    99% of the time it is a bad glow plug relay.
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't guarantee anything with Rev X. I've tried it in the past and it didn't solve the problem. Might have been marginally better, but not fixed.

I've also done the 5W40 synthetic and that hasn't helped.

It's a crappy lubrication design.
  12. six4powerstroke

six4powerstroke Member
    from CHICAGO

Rev X with a good synthetic oil is a must for a 6.0l in the cold winters.Colds starts are no issue at all
  13. six4powerstroke

six4powerstroke Member
    from CHICAGO

On my previous stock 2004 6.0l ive had very bad stiction even with 40-50 degree weather and it was completely stock, took into the stealership for the newest reflash and started w/o any issues after that.
    Reflash was around a 120$
  14. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

6.0s dont have glow plug relays, they have a different set up, glow plug issues will throw a CEL.

I would double check the FICM as well as add rev ex, my truck has had 540 syn rotella since 40k (allmost ready to roll 100k) and even when its -5* out it fires up unplugged, I wait a few min for the oil temp to hit 100* and im off, Rev x seems to make the bigger differance on dino oil.

I would like to know which flash you currently have on the truck, I had the original on my 04 and when i upgraded to the "latest and greatest" fuel milage kicked the bucket, got to pull it out and have it sent somewhere for a stratagy roll back now
  15. alldayrj

yes, its the 15 40 motorcraft oil
    this reflashing bugs me because I dont want to have to put the EGR valve back in if it throws a code now. I guess I'll leave it plugged in and report back after the rev x gets here.

the previous owner said he never brought it to the dealer for service/anything, he did it all himself. I'm assuming it has the 03 software on it. any way to know for sure?
  16. RepoMan1968

why would you post with " I wonder "? If you have no clue , just leave it alone .
  17. Milwaukee

Well if you have problem PM me instead on this. Or put me on your ignore list. I see you are new member. Have you meet deaf people? Then don't correct my English.

I see these threads almost daily at other site where cold snap come in.

It cheaper to use 5w40 SYNTH VS REV X. I can get Shell T6 5w40 for $19 each gallon. While motorcraft 15w40 dino is $15 gal and $35 for 4 oz of Rev X

I thought about try Rev X but after read thousands of thread on Google search. 50% it didn't work it just band aid the issue for temporarily.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  18. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

are you ********?

he said "i wonder if the poster uses 15w40" when i read that i didnt see anything wrong at all with it, it was more of a question he was looking for a answer to. And obviously the original poster understood it better then you because sure enough he confirmed what Mil thought!
  19. alldayrj

Its not just super cold, it does it when its 40ish out. obviously is worse when its colder though.
    as far as trying a thinner oil, I'm too cheap to dump this, I'll try it next winter if rev x isn't the miracle cure.

and I paid 24 a gallon for the motorcraft oil, YAY new york
  20. Milwaukee

OUCH rip off. I get oil from Meijer or Walmart for these.