1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Happy with my hinged back drag blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoPlower, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

For anyone who is on the fence about installing a hinged back drag cutting edge, I highly recommend getting one. I had one installed this fall and have used it four times so far this winter. All I can say is I wish I would have got one earlier. Three of the four plows have been 2-4" of which it scraped tire tracks to pavement with ease. What impressed me the most was how it scraped very close to pavement in the other plow event which was a nasty 2" icy driven over snow pack. I have Hiniker C-plows and Daniels pull plows and the hinged bdb has performed neck and neck with both. Chris at Lee's welding in Elgin Il. fabricated and installed it. Great guy, great service.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I also used hinged back drag blade on my Fishers. They worked excellent. They're one of those things that make you ask why you didn't get one a lot sooner.
  3. ChicagoPlower

My thought exactly
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Can you guys post some pics of your set-ups? Hows the pump handle the extra weight?
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I no longer have those plows. They were Speedcasts with the belt driven hydro's. The extra weight was not even remotely noticeable.
  6. aahicnow

aahicnow Junior Member

I am taking mine into the shop to night to fabricate a back drag blade do you recommend the hinged style over the fixed style of blade?
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I made one for my arctic in the late 90's out of an old cutting edge. It's a 20 yr old plow now and I rarely use it but I love how it back drags. I'd be afraid to post a picture of it cause it looks like something Bird would have...
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Mine were hinged. As you plow forward, the back drag edge would just lay on the ground. Raise the plow and it drops straight down and the weight of the plow gives it's scraping ability. You can always install a piece of chain to hold it up if you don't need it for a while.
  9. ChicagoPlower

I'll post some pictures when I go to the shop. If you run a search under "hinged back drag" you'll find a bunch of other usefull pictures as well. They all share the same basic principle of having the entire weight of the plow on one blade instead of two like a standard bolt on. I've had the fixed back drag blades in the past, and they really don't come close to cleaning as well as a hinged. Like Banksy said, the added weight isn't noticeable.
  10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I have one and they are great. I do so much back dragging that I'm due for a new one shortly.