1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Happy winter to all!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mrrustymac, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Mrrustymac

Mrrustymac Junior Member

Well here is the deal. I always said when i get a truck Its gonna be the real deal. So 44 yrs old and finally got my beast. 97 dodge cummins 3500 dually and Im loving it.Just turned 80,000 on the clock. It came with a meyers classic mount only. No electronics just the mount. I really like the v blades but went to the plow guy (fisher/snowdog) the other day and he wont put a v on my truck cause its a diesel. Is this serious? Also said there is 2 types of financing 1 you have to have been in business for 2 years and 2 was 18 percent interest lol. Anyway I went up the street and he is checking on what he can find for me in a 9' strait blade for the classic mount i have. What was wrong with the older meyers plows? in case I find something not so new. Is it fairly strait foreword mounting the truck side electronics etc ? BTW I have no experience with a plow on a truck and plan on starting off nice and slow using this year to gain some knowledge for next year. We have plenty of pavement,Just outside of Hartford Connecticut. usually a decent amount of the white stuff. Im presently working nights and dont sleep much anyway so it seems like a match lol.
    Thanks for the replies and have fun in the snow.http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/hi.gif
  2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Get ready because the white stuff is coming soon. Have fun with that Dodge !
  3. zeek

zeek Member

welcome to the forum, the old meyers are problem childs, I would try to stay away from them
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Wecome to Plow Site! If you read the back posts and maybe try the Search function, you will see a lot about the diesel plow installation problems. Basically from what I read on P,S. the engine is too heavy and that, with the plow, is too much for the truck suspension. Thats not saying that you can't buy it and have someone install it. Just check out the back posts and get a better picture of what going on.

I have a Meyer, but from what I read on this site, I wouldn't get another one.

Good Luck.
  5. Premier

Premier Senior Member

here is the link to my dodge truck pics, its a 05 w/ the commings, 9.2V-XT, my neighbor has a 98 ram cummings with a 8.2 boss v with wings. he has had the plow on the truck since he bought it in 98. I would talk to some other dealers.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It's because of the diesel engine. Most places won't install the blade but will sell it to you.
    Install it yourself...save money and learn about the plow at the same time.
  7. Mrrustymac

Mrrustymac Junior Member

8. Mrrustymac

Mrrustymac Junior Member

Sure would like to see them pics?
  9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Too much weight

A dealer won't do it, but you may consider doing it yourself. I have had good experiences doing this myself although it is too much weight on the front end of a diesel truck. Our dealer tells us the problem is not only weight, but they do not crash correctly in the event of an accident. Haha.... but then again, who is going to crash? Here is a picture. Again, I am not suggesting that you do this to your truck but it has worked out okay for us.

Christmas 2003 @ Mom's 001.jpg
  10. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yes, I discovered this also after buying a diesel. You can play around with Western's online confgurator to see what they recommend - change engine choices and you'll see the different results.

Sometimes even heavier plows are allowed for regular cab trucks vs. crew cabs.

I would think a 9' plow would be kinda huge to drive down the road with. A V plow is different since you can retract it.

Good luck.
  11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive had o.k luck with my meyer E60, but i think with a 9 footer you will be changing the lift ram base seal often, I had to change it twice a season at least with my 7.6 meyer with prowings, it seems the extra weight is too much for the plow, As for the truck I cracked the front axle housing on my 95 f250 IFS with a 7.3 diesel, but dont think it will be a problem with the solid axle in your dodge
  12. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I overlooked your driving a dually. It would be nice to have a plow width that comes close to covering your track width when at full angle.