1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Happy homeowner

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPM, Feb 22, 2011.

1. EPM

EPM Member

So i get a call late this morning from a landlord asking me what it would cost to do the sidewalks for all of her rental properties today? I shot her a number off the top of my head more or less trying to price myself out of the work because i hurt my back during the last storm we had. Low and behold, she went for it. So i rallied the troops and took off, the whole time thinking, "sh*t, what did i get myself into."
    A long while and a few picked up driveways from neighbors later i returned for payment. I totaled everything up for her and she went inside to write a check. When she came back out and handed it to me i realized she had payed me 50% more than the price i had given her. I handed her back the check thinking she had not herd the price i had told her and she told me, "i know the price you gave me but i also know how hard you and your guys worked. Your the third guy i called about this and the only one who took any interest."
    She then asked if she could call me again for anything and of course i told her to call me for anything she needed,
    I know this is probably a boring story, but I'm just happy there's still people out there that appreciate hard work.
    So many contractors are turning down work because its, too small or not a money maker which is exactly what i tried to do with this woman. In the end, I made out quite well from the situation. payup
  2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

it always feels good 2 be appreciated
  3. EPM

EPM Member

Appreciated is an understatement! Its not like this lady slipped me an extra $20. I had 8 man hours into her work at a VERY PREMIUM rate for our area. I would've been good with a "thank you and can i have more cards to give to people i know"
    I haven't deposited her check yet though.... hopefully I'm not on here tomorrow b*tching up a storm about nsf on a check. lol
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe she'll invite you and your crew over for some pie the next time it snows.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

glad it worked out well for you
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

cheeper than law suit. payup
  7. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

You mentioned contractors turning down work because it's too small or not a good money maker, as did you...8 man hours...too small...really?
  8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

we're not quite, but close, to record snowfall for this town this year. we have customers that run out while we're plowing, with cups of coffee, sodas, cookies, bars. etc...we appreciate their business, and their thoughtfulness...and they apparently appreciate what we're doing for them. no extra cash tho. only got chewed out once the last snow. from a grumpy old guy..i had it coming, i forgot to clean the snow out in front of his mailbox. we all know the social security checks will be out next week, and gotta get em delivered!
  9. Bamboopro

Bamboopro Junior Member

During the recent blizzard we had some guy gave my partner 100 bucks and another gave me 40 (which was all split of course) while we doing their drives. I also heard from another coworker they were given shots of bourbon while working on some ladies drive. It's always nice to customers appreciate what you do.
  10. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Are you sure you didn't just sleep through your alarm that day?
  11. EPM

EPM Member

Going into it i figured we wouldn't be long at all being it was just sidewalks at city properties aprox 50 to 80ft a piece. As i said, i really didn't want the job initially because i had messed up my back the night before but i shot her a price anyway thinking i would price myself out of the work. Even spending four times as long at these jobs as i figured we would i still would've made money. I was figuring 2 man hours tops between all of them and it really didn't seem to be worth it to drive all the way across town and have the help come in so they didn't have to take me off the sidewalk on a stretcher. Turned out to be well worth it... other than i cant walk today.
  12. Sal_Moides

Sal_Moides Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Does she have a sister in akron, ohio?:blush2:
  13. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

Got ya! I know what you mean about the sore back...I spent 15 hours plowing/shoveling with two hours of sleep. I was down for the count yesterday...soaking in the tub and having the house smell like Icy Hot!!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011