1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hanging a spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SCL, Feb 25, 2002.

1. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I have a Western Tailgate spreader on my one ton dump. Its mounted using the receiver hitch. Got to thinking that its a pain when you have to load bags or hook up a trailer. So I was thinking of making a mount that would suspend from the tailgate raising the spreader high enough to use the hitch and easy just to lift up to take off. Anybody else done this or have any thoughts? Maybe this should go to the welding forum but I thought I'd try here first.

2. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I had my welder make me a set of brackets using 7/16" x 3" stock,that hangs on the tailgate.It is like a squared off u shape that goes aprox. 10" inside the bed aprox. 3" over the top part of the bed and 20" down the outside of the bed. I had him make it snug so your dimensions might vary depending on your dump body and what type of salter you are using.This one has the salter frame welded to the u brackets,but my last truck I just bolted it together. I use two heavy racheting straps to bind it down from the bottom of the salter frame to the D rings on my hitch. It works pretty well for me,it is easy to unhook and very easy to load the hopper from the pallet in the bed.I also like it because the spinner is more out of harms way and i can use my hitch also.
    Goodluck! Alf