1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handle a plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowman79, Dec 5, 2008.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

How well do dodges handle plows? Was probably looking at hangin a 7.5 or 8 western pro plow, ultramount. Have never plowed with dodges always used fords but the 6.0 powerstroke scares me...plus i love the sound of a cummins
  2. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Go for it - it makes a hell of a plow truck. Have used and seen them all and yeah you will have little problems here and there but so do other brands. Mine drops about 1.5" when you raise ~750 # plow.
  3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

a little more info on what dodge u are talking about would help. bc of the cummins we know 3/4 or 1 ton but what else? plow prep or not? reg cab-- mega? stuff like that

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Putting a blade in front of a Cummins is comparable to plowing with a doser. If you have traction it will move!!! All in all they are great trucks. Sure they might have a few issues here and there but they all do. Afterall nothing runs as good or is dependable as a Cummins!!!!
  5. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

I've put plows on Dodges, so far I've had in this order:
    1994 Chevy 1500 Silverado, Ext cab sb, 7'6 western - Decent truck plowed alright Wrecked and sold

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab SB 7'6 Western - Best truck, would push through anything had it in a blizzard once and was the only able to push! Sold it

1997 Ford F250 Light Duty SB Ext Cab (looked like F150 but a little more beefier) Decent truck, pushed fine, not the cummins though... Only used one season than sold it

1995 Dodge 1500 Reg Cab LB 5 speed 7'6" western had this truck at the same time as the F250, didn't really drive it, had someone else drive it, the 5 speed was a mistake..... Sold it

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 9'5 western V, decent truck Cummins so it is a beast, but its used to haul a car hauler most of time so dont want to keep on the snow all the time. But it is a sweet rig

Last but not least my current truck:
    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Quad Cab SB 8'Western Ultra, The truck is fine, it has plenty of power and I got it with low miles and the blade is nice. I love the Ultra mount, Just make sure you keep everything lubed up and watch the U Joints..... Also make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting into reverse or you will destroy the tranny in a Dodge. But they are good trucks!
  6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I run a 950# plow off my hemi 2500 - it works real good - but if I were putting it on a cummins, I would definately go for the 3500...
  7. firemedicplow

firemedicplow Junior Member

I got a 2500 with 8ft Boss and handle's like a dream. Ran chevy hated the feeling of the front end and ford couldn't turn like I needed to. Dodge works go with the shift on fly and turning radius of extended cab. Plus 550 # weight in back end barley makes it dive when lifted. Hope this helps your options!
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9'2" V plow on mine. Pushes a lot of snow.

RODHALL Senior Member

i have 3 older trucks 86 1ton 7 1/2 strait blade you can't even tell the plow is on the front. 89 250 CTD 8ft strait blade Snow comander. 90 250 CTD 7 1/2 strait blade.

older trucks plow prep was not a big deal on newer trucks they get hever rated springs.

and i agree with the CTD if you can get traction you can move it
  10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My truck technically doesn't have the "plow prep" and I measured how much the front drops with the plow up. I measured only a 1/2 inch drop from top of tire to the fender, but it feels like more when sitting in the cab. I have only plowed with F250's and 8 foot Fishers. They all plowed great. I can't wait to push snow with my Dodge.
  11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i also run all dodges no complaints here. i have had 2 dodge diesels with plows on them. the 1st one was a 2001 reg ho diesel 6 speed with a 8 ft fisher. it was a great truck handled the plow fine. Traded that truck in with 140k on the clock and was good as new. now i have a 07 quad cab short bed diesel with a 8' western pro plus. i have 20k miles on this truck and love it . pulls great rides nice and plenty of power:nod: i don't think youll have any complaints with the dodges wesport
  12. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

well im looking at an 06 quad cab, plow prep, short bed cummins, auto tranny. THe only reason i am having my doubts is i hear the front ends are weak....maybe thats just talk though...
  13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

14. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

45,000 ...or somewhere around there if i remember correctly
  15. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

I have a 1998 3500 cummins that has had a plow since new and it has held up very well.