1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handiest Tractor On The Farm

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by cretebaby, Oct 31, 2008.

1. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This is the handiest and best tractor we have on the place:D
    I think it was made about the same year i was

MF 265.jpg

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

nice machine

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Can't beat a 265 Massey!:drinkup: They will run forever.

4. storm king

storm king Member

I know what you meam ....Got a 41 Ford that my grandfather bought new and works on our mini- farm daily, and a old A Deere that I could never part with

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

when i used to work at the golf course during high school is used a Massey 135 you knew when used the all day the clutch pedal made walk with a limp home LOL i love the tractor tho alot fo power and went so many place i prob should have used the 4wd JD's :D
    nice machine !

6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Love the Massey!!

This is my little worker, 1951 Ford 8n even though the motor needs a rebuild and blows some smoke It will fire up in the dead of winter or after a year of winter storage like it was just run yesterday.

Next up for work on it is a full trans rebuild, hopefully this winter and a motor rebuild maybe next year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tractor split in half when I did a complete hydraulic system rebuild.
    [​IMG]

Don't forget the half tracks.
    [​IMG]

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

thats cool i've never seen one with tracks on it .

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Nice Half Tracks

what do you use them for

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Well they were designed to run in snow and mud conditions. When I bought the tractor it had them installed, and I had to take them off to get it on the trailer we had. Then I went through the process of reinstalling them and getting them to track correctly, they are very touchy and if the tread is not correct on the tires they will track off. I ended up changing out to a tire that I thought would be better but it ended up being worse.

They would not be good to run while bush hogging or grading.

I did however get a chance to run them in about a foot of snow and it was like I was driving a tank. They will give you every bit of traction you can ask for.

Here's a couple more pics after the snow. They are a pretty rare set up, two companies made them, ARBP (the ones I have) and Bombardier. They both made them for a variety of tractors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. storm king

storm king Member

Nice Ford !, After that re-build you shoulod be good for about anothher 50 or 60 years ... :)

11. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

That's exactly my thought......I like to see the old stuff taken care of so it can be handed off to the next generation.

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just sold this 58 4000 hd it had been sitting in my backyard for the last 25 years. bitter sweet to see it go. it would of been awesome if it would of workd.

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Some how I don't think that was you're "handiest tractor on the farm" the last 25yrs....but I'm sure it was a good runner back in the day. :drinkup:

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

haha it took me a day to clear the brush away from it. And i mean 6 hrs of just cutting and dragging and it wasnt fun. I never got the pleasure of playing with it. my dad used it my grandfather used it and one of ther friends. power steering quit they fixd it something eles quit. so it finally got to far gone

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Those are most handy. Like you need lift junk engine or stuff that are too heavy.

Is that diesel? Perkin? What year? 75-83 ?

Did it have lock diff?

My tractor. It best stuff I have. It help me lift lot stuff and push junk trucks and cars. Pull stumps.
    Now we are fab mount on it for snowplow. It have 820 hours on that for almost 50 years old.
    [​IMG]

My Uncle's tractor John deer I love that so much and it 4wd so it fun pull stump. i am pull 6 trees tomorrow with that i will try have someone get video or pic.

[​IMG]

16. Milwaukee

This what happened to my tractor when flywheel's gear strip and engine overheat then blow head gasket.

That was most sad for me it been broke for 5 years until I got sick of wait so we got to our garage we found timing have been change and carb was broke too.

Now it run but we need put snowplow before winter.

here video of cold start. that was 2 years ago in Alpena it get close to -40oF so it slightly hard to start. Plus it have 6 volt battery. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You sure that thing only has 820 hrs on it....looks like a lot more than that... unless it's had a hard 820hrs

18. Milwaukee

No it most it just sit in outside all time.

That how paint fade. last time it sit outside for 6 months that piss me very much so we get to our garage and keep it.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I'll take you're word for it.

20. Milwaukee

Yes but why no one bother to keep maintain and keep in barn.

You see that john deer? It have 320 hours but I think it 5-8 years old. He alway wash and wax it.

He have another 3 tractors but they are at deer camp. 2 are new Holland same model I think 80 hours on it. 1 is Ford loader with backhoe.

His favorite tractor is John deer because heat and ac in cab.