1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

handicap spots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bristolturf, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

At a place I plowed at during the groundhogs day blizzard, we all teamed up with someone becasue we had so much snow. I was running a NH 985 with a bucket and this guy was running a gmc 3500 with 8.5 boss plow. I got the entrance all cleared up and the plow started to work on a set of parking stalls by the restaurant. This place is a small strip mall with a restaurant in it. Well he pushed all the snow into not 1 but 2 handicap stalls as well as covering the ramp to access the sidewalk. So when I see this im pissed becasue thats more time I have to waste moving that becasue thats not acceptable. So about 30 minutes later, I get all that opened up. I go around the back of the building to to start working there come up an hour later to find 2xs as much snow in the same to handicap spots as well as a mountain of snow in another handicap spot on the opposite site. The place only has 3 handicap stalls and everyone was full. Took me an 1.5 to clear those up one set having to be cleared 2 times.

I was so pissed off I looked at him and just said why the hell would you put snow in those places

2. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

I think because he was not thinking at all, he should know that handicap stalls are more liable to get him in trouble than any other place, but well may be he won't do it next time.

3. bristolturf

I dont know but you have no idea how pissed i was I mean basically 2 hours of wasted unbillable time on that site.

4. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Why didnt you same something the first time he did it? Would have saved you alot of time.

5. Freebird

Freebird Member

Yell at him for that crap. If he does it again, bill him for the time. he won't pay but it may get the message across.

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

The chille's restaurant by me has 1 of the 2 hadicapped spots right by the front door totally plowed in. The big one for the vans even. It's a humungo snow bank by now cause they've been piling snow there all winter.

and they piled up another bank on the other side. So the maybe 7 spots right in front of the fron door- now are 5.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. bristolturf

I really love it when the people (other contractors too) plow snow to the curb in the front stalls. I usually will show on a map at a meeting where the ideal locations to put the snow on the site are. Idealls you push everything away from the front of the building towards the back corners. Sometimes its not possible yes, but thats always the goal. And never in handicap spots.

8. Just got a call yesterday from a strip mall owner who asked if I could come over with equipment and move some piles that his "contractor" piled in the handicap spots and ramps and are now frozen solid and he cant push them with his 1/2 ton and 7'6''. I bid and didnt get this place so I quoted them big $ to do this and he said fine beacuse his tenants are raising hell and is meeting me there tomm AM to sign the contract. I'll try to remember to grab some before and after shots. I enjoy the money I make fixing others screw ups!

9. TRKling

TRKling Member

The State of Ohio has a law that took effect last season that you can not plow snow into handicapped spots - there is fines etc. with it. Now enforcement is another issue, never heard of someone getting zapped for it.

But common sense (ha!) says you keep those spaces as clear as possible and salted. That might be us that need that space sometime for some reason.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

After I plow a handicap space I'll get out and clear anything left with a shovel, spread De-Icer by hand to make sure every bit of it is covered and I pay special attention to access ramps too.
    I know some folks who need these parking places and the idea of them having to deal with a crap plow job or having a pile in a designated parking spot really gets under my skin.

Carma will get those who intentionally stack in a handicap space.