1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handicap ramps on walkways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I know from doing a lot of residential snow removal that these ramps from the walk to the street are on almost every corner or crosswalk. The city always plows these over with 3' berms of street snow and they suck to get clear. I use my plow then clean with a shovel or blower.

Last year during the winter I saw a guy in a wheel chair trying to navigate through a poorly done walkway. I thought about how hard it must be for handicap citizens to get around by themselves during snow season. The image of him trying to wheel that thing through the crap left on the walk stuck with me. Every time I'm doing walks or ramps I think about him.

So I'm asking all you professional snow removers to get those walks as wide and as clean as possible. Yes it will take 5-10 more min. but it's worth the extra effort to make someones life a little easier. ussmileyflag

2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah. on the news channel in Omaha Ne, some one just do one snow blower pass by around walks and it was not wide for wheel chair to go it hit both sides of the snow! he was not happy with this new snow removal guy and call up the news channel on this. happen on the Snow storm Dec 8 and 9 ..

3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i totally concur. It's things like these that remind us how lucky we are to be more fortunate. I could not imagine some of the hardships the handicapped have to go through.