1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

handheld wont power on

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cruesix, Nov 24, 2009.

1. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

hey guys

i just hooked up my plow set up and for some reason i cant get the hand held to power on.im pretty sure everything is wired correctly,and i have power at the handheld plug.just cant power it on? am i overlooking something obvious or is it maybe a bum handheld..i bought it used but the guy said it worked..but i know how that goes,thanks for any input

Dan

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

fuses in ??? .......common mistake

double check wiring

3. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

fuses was my first thought, does the hand held have a seperate fuse somewhere? i checked the fuse going to my fuse panel and it was ok,but couldnt locate any on the handheld i even opened it up...didnt see any

4. Deco

Deco Senior Member

all in-line fuses ....grounds ..key on .has to be wiring or bad controller , you'll find it , keep searching

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Make sure you have your power wire hooked into your fuse panel right. I use the radio fuse to hook mine into

6. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

well i quadrouple checked my install and it all looks tip top...i called the guy that sold me the handheld,he is going to let me try a differnt one,ill update and let you all know if thats what it was.. thanks for the help

Dan

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a inline fuse on the plug in lead that connects to the handheld
    SFE6 glass tube IIRC

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

This may sound stupid, but you do know that the hand held won't power up unless the plow harness on the truck is connected to the plow right? Sorry to be so obviuus, but you never know

9. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

i did not know that. very good to know.unfortunatly i had the plow attached

10. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

got it and it is ok,i have power at the handheld it just doesnt do anything

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you probe the harness side of the controller connector plug with a test light you should have 12V on the red wire and ground on the orange/black. If you do and the controller still doesn't work then either the internal fuse is blown or the controller is bad.

12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Dan...........Bummer. You don't happen to have a plow bud nearby that has
    either a western or fisher handheld to borrow and see if your wiring is correct?

Prob. your internal circuit board died...........Sadly they are $200 or so.

There are several used over on Fleabay for less than $200. New is almost $300!

I scored one this summer for $75.

Good luck!

13. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

its all good now..my earlier assesment that my wiring was tip top,was well... not so tip top after all.:dizzy:...i had incorrectly ran the wires from the solinoid so i had no ground.everything is aok now..

thanks for all the help:salute: