1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handheld vs Joystick Controls

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Sep 29, 2010.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Are the newest style handheld and joystick controls supposed to operate the same? I know that float is enabled automatically when you lower the blade using the joystick while you need to hold the Lower button for .75 seconds to activate it.

Specifically, I'm curious about Left and Right. I just got a new handheld and the L/R movements seem to glide to a smooth stop while the joystick seems to be an instant stop. Curious to see if my joystick is bad (and more curious about the inner workings of the 2 controls).

I never plowed with a handheld before and so far I'm not quite comfortable with it. I kinda like the trusty old joystick (old habits die hard).
  2. Banger

Banger Member

I was in the same boat as you.. Been plowing for 20 years with a joy stick. It takes about a few hours to get use to it and 100% comfortable in a few events.

Its night and day difference though. Makes working much easier. You can operate the plow while shifting between gears etc... cant do that with a joy stick in my opinion. Just take it with you when you park your truck for a long time. Mine grew legs 2 times. Get expensive replacing them

Also... If your plow is not responding like your use to... adjust it!
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Where does one go to get the details on how? I've read through all the Western publications I could find and haven't found any way to adjust anything.
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

No your controllers are fine the joystick will stop faster than the handheld. I like the joystick better it is what I learned on. My dad has the hand held and I have had to use his before and I got used to it also. To each his own. The only other thing I like with the joystick it is always in the same place. You won't ever reach for it and have it not be there, I would set the hand held on my lap while driveing and have it fall off when I got to the next lot. I am sure once i got more used to it that would go away.