1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handheld or joystick for MVP

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KJ Cramer, Aug 23, 2009.

1. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I've plowed for 3 years with someone elses equipment, this year I am getting my own. This will also be my first year operating a V Plow. I have only used a joystick control in the past. My question is to all of you who have an MVP, is the joystick better or is the handheld better for the Western V. I have tried to search this already on here but the main argument seems to be between the straight blade guys and not with the v plow people and I am looking for whats best with what I am getting. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't matter if ur operating a straight or V plow. I find the hand held easier to function. Its like playing Nintendo with one hand! Allows for more flexibility instead of concentrating on two things at once.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the joystick is better. I have mine mounted on the console. I can rest my arm on the console and work the joystick. I shift with my right hand and drive with my left. I just go back and forth between the shifter and the joystick and grab my coffee. I tried the handheld. Found myself putting it down all the time and then looking to pick it up. I also found myself looking at it to find where the buttons were.

You are going to get answers for both. You would be best if they would let you try 1 and if you don't like it take it back. Get the one you think you want and if it doesn't work out see what they will do.
  4. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. "cet" thats too simple, so thats probably why I over looked that option. I am going to try that. Dropped off my truck just 3 hrs ago at the local dealership to get the plow put on, they said they install the handheld standard for the V, they like it better, so thats what I will try first. I can't wait to get it back and get the first push in, I love plowing.
  5. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

It's personal preference. I personally like the handheld better and have more mobility with it but you decide what you like better.
  6. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

I Sell 10 to 1 handhelds over the Joystick. However I personally use the Joystick. I have it dash mounted on the LEFT side under the headlight switch and use my left hand. The right hand is for steering, Shifting, Coffee, Two-way radio, ipod, and whatever else!
    The only problem that I have with the Joystick is the eight detents/positions are too close together and quite often you miss!
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Basically same here.

I've had use of the handheld, on an Extreme V, and found I was "feeling" around more to hit one of the four functions buttons, instead of just hitting them with out looking.