1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

handheld controllers

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MIDTOWNPC, Dec 8, 2012.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

from everything I have read and I know I have tested this before and it has worked.
    wideouts and mvp+ are fully interchangable

doesnt make sence....

this season I sold off my mvp+ 's and bought wideouts... however I have a few spare mvp+ controllers so I tried to use one yesterday to move some plows around and it lights up but as soon as I press anything it turns off. yet if I use a wideout controller it works.

wideout plow.

what gives... I thought I would have some spare controllers but looks like it wont work
    I was sure it worked once before..

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you kept a bad controller. I would try that controller on an MVP+ to see if it works on that. Perhaps there is an issue with older generations of controllers. I know the older generation didn't allow for the security code or switching on / off soft-stop and auto-float but I too thought that the main functions should work across the board.

Hmm, computer store owner... I too used to run a computer company called "Anykey Computers" and now I am back to vehicle electronics. Have you ever heard of the "id - 10 - t" error message? I used to teach computer science at a community collage too. Can't say I miss it... plows don't change as fast and they don't get infected with viruses.

3. MIDTOWNPC

trust me Im not an idiot :waving:
    did that joke just make it to you becasue I think I heard it about 7 years ago Thumbs Up

computers changing and virus' are fine, thats how I make money. Fixing and helping people upgrade and protect themself is what I do among other things.
    Last time I checked I liked money

the controller works fine on a mvp+ infact all 3 of them do
    but none of them work on the 3 wideouts.

I didnt try the wideout controllers on the one mvp+ I have left.

4. mishnick

Didn't want to suggest you were deficient in any way, intelectually or otherwise. I have been out of the computer industry for a lot longer than 7 years. I moved on from that back when Windows 2000 was the "newest" thing. Took the MCSE certification but didn't want to go back to school every time a new version of Windows came out. The problem I had with viruses was that the owners always blamed them on the PC and didn't want to pay.

As for your controllers, this doesn't make sense to me. They should work across the board on any multiplex (two cable late model) system. That's why they call them fleetflex because they are usable on the whole fleet.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The early MVP Plus handheld controllers (96600) were not Fleet Flex, and like Mishnick said, they did not have the Security Guard feature. They are easily identified because the four corner buttons (scoop, retract, left and right wing) are not numbered 1,2,3,4 for the Security Guard. As far as I know, these controllers will only run an MVP Plus, and that's likely your issue. Wide-Out plows are all Fleet Flex, and come with the 96500 controller, as do the newer Fleet Flex MVP Plus plows. This control runs either plow.

The newest Fleet Flex straight blades come with a nine button controller (96900) so that they can utilize the Security Guard feature. I've not yet checked to see if the new straight blade controller will run an MVP or Wide-Out, and vice-versa. I've got a couple at my shop, so I'll check it out. It'll be interesting to see. One would think they'd make it so one controller would run every plow... Yet they must be two different part numbers for a reason... maybe as simple as the straight blade controller just doesn't say scoop, retract, etc. on it.

6. MIDTOWNPC

I must have had one fleet flex MVP plus controller then and gave it away with a plow purchase rather then the controller that it came with. Now I have two spare controllers I can't use.

Once you go wideout you don't go back.

7. mishnick

The only difference between the two new fleetflex contrllers is the labelling of the face plate. We just had a visit from our Western sales rep last week and he said he was wanting them to sell just one controller with two labels in the box. He specifically pointed out that these two controllers would work with any multiplex plow, wide-out, MVP+ or the new style straight blade.

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's good to know. I kind of assumed so, but thought it odd that they'd go to the trouble of having two different controllers and part numbers for the sake of the labeling on the faceplate. Thanks for the info.