1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

handheld controller won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 00silverado, Nov 21, 2014.

1. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I bought a western unimount plow for my 2000 silverado. I restored the whole thing. New motor. New angle cylinders new paint ect. I am running the adapter so I can run ultramount truck mount. I bought all new wires and wir3e it up today lights work but controller won't turn on so the plow doesn't move. I checked the fused power going to it and it does have power. Not sure why it won't work . The controller worked on last truck fine

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

when you turn controller on, does it light up? quite possible controller is shot. the handheld units are much more prone to failure that then joysticks, and they react slower too.

do you have another controller (whether hand held or joystick) that you can try out? or maybe have a buddy near by with one? as long as it's a 6 pin controller with the little white square plug then they are everywhere. western and fisher have been using that controller since the early 1990's through today.

3. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Nothing happens the controller is off like it's not plugged in

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck for power at the controller plug

5. 00silverado

00silverado Member

It does have power. I checked it with a test light since my multimeter is dead I picked up a new battery today I'm gonna check it tomorrow and check the ground

6. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Also. On the solinoid there is no markings for what is what. Does that make a difference

7. dieselss

No. It doesn't.
    So you have power, do you have gnd? And use the test light not the meter

8. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I chechecked for power with the yest light havent checked the ground. Does anyone know what wire is which and which ones are suppose to be ground and hot. My buddy has a 8ft fisher mm1. Will this controller work with his so I can try it

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Silly question..... do you know the plow (at least the light plug) has to be plugged in for the system to fire up? If the headlight plug is not connected from truck to plow the controller backlight will not come on and the power button will not respond.

As for the power.... you say you "bought all new wires" but what kind of wires? Did you upgrade to isolation module three plug or did you condemn yourself to the original two plug relay setup? Both are very different in their operation and schematics.

10. 00silverado

00silverado Member

The orifinal 2 plug system. I did leave out the day time running light curcuit. I completly by passed it but that shouldn't have anything to do with it

11. mishnick

Note that on the relay system that the headlights and the plow function controls are totally isolated. The plow will work even if you have no relays or lights connected at all.

How many pins are in your plug? 7, 9 or 12?

12. mishnick

Power at the motor relay...

There are two big lugs, one will be battery + and the other is the output to plow of course. There will be one small wire with a large loop on it, this must go on the large battery positive lug so it has power at all times, the wire will be solid red. This one is commonly put on the wrong lead causing lights only to work when the plow motor is spinning or other problems depending on the setup.

The two small wires with small loops go on the two small lugs, doesn't matter which way as the coil is not polarity sensitive.

There will be another small wire (black with orange tracer) that comes out near the motor relay. This MUST connect to the battery negative post or some other good ground.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Here's how I have the motor solinoid hooked up. It's mounted horizontal on the alternator bracket one big lug goes to the battery. The other large l7g is connected to the 2 pin power harness. ONe small lug has the brown and red wire that comes out of the control harness and a ornage and black wire with 2 connectors. One is connected to the other lug and the other is connected to the negative side of battery.

14. 00silverado

00silverado Member

9 pin harness. #61437

15. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Tested it on my friends mm1 didn't work so might be bad. I took it apart and on the circuit board 2 wires are postive. The white and black wires . Is that how it's supposed to be

16. dieselss

Positive and negative

17. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Ok . I have test light hooked up to frame under dash and when I touch both of the leads on the circuit board they are both postive

18. dieselss

Ok, you said it didn't work in your friends, did you try his clicker on your trk?
    Without the wiring diagrams I can't say at all.

19. mishnick

"Tested it on my friends mm1 didn't work so might be bad. I took it apart and on the circuit board 2 wires are postive. The white and black wires . Is that how it's supposed to be?"

There are multiple options for colors inside the controller. Handheld and joystick are different. Best to test the plug the controller goes into.
    Pin 1 should be a red wire comeing from ignition, POS+
    Pin 2 light green goes to S2 valve, should be cold -
    Pin 3 black / org goes directly to ground near the motor relay
    Pin 4 brown / red is the activator wire for the motor relay, should be cold unles a motor function button is pressed
    Pin 5 light blue goes to S3 valve, should be cold -
    Pin 6 white/ yellow goes to S1, should be cold -

Note, it is possible if you have something misswired that it has damaged your controller and could damage another if you plug it in. Verify your pins before risking damage to someone elses controller.

20. 00silverado

00silverado Member

i did not. i dont want to just incase its a wiring issue on my truck. i dont need to blow his to