1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Handheld controller repair

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rdfenn3, Dec 20, 2014.

1. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

Anyone ever repair there faulty controller? I've searched for a week and can't find anything

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Parts are available at the dealer be more specific what are you looking for

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A circuit board costs about $20 less than a whole new controller.... not worth fixing it that way. What is worth doing is cleaning the contacts and changing the fuse. All controllers have copper contacts that can be cleaned with a fine scotch guard pad and contact cleaner and the old pre-multiplex MVP controllers have a tiny fuse soldered onto the board. It's hard to replace, without doing damage but if you are good with a soldering iron it is possible. Other than that the only thing I have done is repair broken wires. Some controllers had stiff rubber strain reliefs at the base of the handle causing the wire to bend too much right where it comes out of the rubber. These little wires would break and it was possible to strip the wire back and re-connect the breaks.

Have a look at this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=158450 There is a great photo of the contacts that need to be cleaned and some good discussion about what you can do. I always get a laugh out of the guy who made his own controller using a drill index and a handful of simple switches. He swears once you use this you will never go back to OEM. Personally I think he is mad but you can form your own opinion. Keep in mind though that if you want to try building your own that you can only do that with the old three plug analog controllers. Building your own multiplex (two plug) controller would be impossible unless you are an electronics engineer.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

Is the MVP controller the only one with a fuse

5. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

Btw I'm trying to repair straight blade controllers

6. mishnick

The old MVP controller with the big black round plug is the only one that has a fuse that I know of. Straight blade controllers do not, but they all have the same copper contacts on the circuit board.

7. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

I cleaned up all the contacts on both of the controllers. I got one working. The other one won't turn on.

8. mishnick

Did you check for continuity between the plug and the other end of the wire where it connects to the circuit board? May be just a broken wire.

9. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

Yup that was the first thing

10. bammbammfran

bammbammfran Junior Member
    from USA

plow controller repairs

I fix almost all of the model controllers
    If interested, PM me