1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hand held vs. joystick plow controller...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Sep 7, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm looking at a Fisher plow close to my home upstate, it is a 2004 model MMII with all wiring and mounts and installation for $2900- good deal? It comes with a joystick controller... Now- in your opinion, what are the benefits of a hand held controller versus a joystick controller. Also- if I have him install it with the joystick controller it comes with, can I just get a fishstick in the future and plug it into the same plug as the joystick?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a good price Matt. I have heard mixed things about the handheld. I heard people don't like them because you constantly have to hold it. I don't know but thats what i heard. I figured you don't have to be hunched over with the joy stick, i figured it would be more comfortable. The truck that i am buying has the joy stick, but i think i am going to buy the hand held. Good luck

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

hand held imo because i can use my right hand to shift and hold the controller and i can raise the plow while i shift where as a joystick you are constantly moving your hand from the joystick to the shifter.

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am assuming the controllers are pretty much the same for fisher and boss. I have tried both (boss) and love the joy stick. I have a small bracket on the side of the controller that allows it to hang on the door in that groove where the window is. I can shift with my right hand and control the plow with my left, now if I only had one more hand to count my money payup

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Fishstik for Driveways. Joystick for Roadways. Yes they run off the same plug.

6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

If you enjoy holding something in your hand,pushing buttons,not wrapping the coiled cord around something,"ALL DAY/NIGHT LONG", the the handheld is your ticket.
    You could mount the handheld but whats the point.

Be creative and mount the joystick in a comfortable position.
    The joystick is nice because you don't have to use just your THUMB.
    Goodluck, Plowtech:waving:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our Boss's have joysticks, tried the hand held but it was a PITA.

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have a boss and used the handheld last year and while it was ok i didnt really like it. I bought the joystick and hopefully ill like it better. Im used to to a joystick since that what my dad has and ive used them a bunch in the past years. I mounted my joystick in between the cupholder and the seat on my 03 F-250. its perfect because I can rest my elbow on the armrest and the joystick lands right in the middle of my palm.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Joystick over handheld any day. I found myself constantly looking at the handheld.

10. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I prefer the hand held. As stated earlier I can hold it and shift the truck with my right hand and steer with the left.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Joystick all the way for me......and yes they have the same plug

12. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

IMHO Fishstick all day long!! Much easier to steer and shift, and you are not hunched over all night long.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I like the joystick much better. Primarily because it's in a fixed location, I can reach down to operate it because I know exactly where it is, which way to move the joystick etc. The handheld controller just got in my way.

14. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Yes they use the same plug.
    I put the "Fishstik" in my truck and it stayed in the dash mount bracket all the time - except for the time I pulled it out the window to locate a hydraulic leak (once in 11 years).
    I don't know why I wasted the money.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007