1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hand held snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sparcolawn, Oct 2, 2011.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn Junior Member
    from NH

Has anyone ever seen a snow blower attachment that looks like a weedeater? I saw one about 10 years ago but cant find one these days.

2. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

A few years ago, Toro had a little electric 'snow broom' gadget.

3. sparcolawn

sparcolawn Junior Member
    from NH

yeah i remember that one, I'd really like to find one that's gas.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Look into Stihl, they have a weed trimmer that can accept mulitple attachements, including a broom attachement

5. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Yeah Stihl's KM series trimmer (KM90, 110, and 130) have several attachments including a bristle and rubber paddle broom attachment. I have a KM90 and I really like it, good power and is very well balanced. Good on fuel too.

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of snow can it actually move without having to go get a shovel to touch up?
    Steve

7. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

I've never used one, in the snow or other wise, but for anything under say 3" maybe 4" if it's a dry snow. I'd go with the bristles rather than the rubber paddles. They use rotary brooms on sidewalks and what not all the time.

8. bcomstock15

bcomstock15 Junior Member

I'm interested in something like this, anyone seen a weedwacker with a little snoblower attachment on the end? just looking for something one man can carry up a flight of stairs, we do some huge balconies at one of our sites.

9. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I just seen one of these on craigslist. It was made by ryobi. There older and not made anymore. Gonna have to find it used.

This should work. Its 14", cant be heavier then 25lbs.
    [​IMG]

10. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Echo has the PAS system also that accepts multiple heads. Use this during lawn care season.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I use my FS-90 and yard boss tiller gear box for attachments.

I have used the paddle and broom for everything but snow. But I wouldn't hesitate to use either if a situation came around where I needed something lighter and easier to move snow around with.

I would think even up to 6" - 7" you could use the paddle and clear snow.

The FS 90 has enough power to run the actual tiller tines, and I use that to do final grades on lawns before sod or seeding and it works excellent and can move a lot of dirt.

12. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

The rubber paddle wheel thing from Stihl doesn't work for snow..... I have one and it works great for removing gravel from grass. I tried it last season and it moves snow.... but it carries it around the broom so it sprays snow out in the 360 degree spinning motion, and it covers up what you just cleared. I don't have the bristles but i'm not sure it would work well either, but probably better than the paddles, I think you need a bit more speed out of it then what that little engine can spin.

13. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

I was also very curious on how well the stihl broom attachment would work for snow.

14. sectlandscaping

I found it.
    [​IMG]

15. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

What you found is something I am sure does not work well...

16. sectlandscaping

It probably doesnt but its what hes looking for. I would use a shovel myself. Maybe he has 100s of steps to do.

17. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I would use a leaf blower myself....

18. sectlandscaping

I havent tried a backpack blower yet. Does it work good? I could see it working for light fluffy stuff but not for anything hard. Ill bring one this year and see how it goes.

19. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Most of us here in Winnipeg (since the temperatures are colder which dries the snowfall making it fluffy), use leaf blowers. I just purchased a Stihl 550 blower and use it on entire drives which snow between 2-3cm if caught before driven on. Cheaper to spend money on blower fuel then truck. Clears the driveway to bare ground compared to a plow or even a heavier thrower. Try it out....

20. sectlandscaping

I will, I already have them so it wont hurt.. I was going to winterize them in a week or so since I'm still doing clean ups.