1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hand held controllers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jan 18, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Was on a manufacturer's site last nite and they were talking about their hand held controller being a big feature, My EZ-V's have the "Fish Stik" the only time it leaves it holder on the left of the steering wheel is when I take my plow off. I only like to plow with MY truck I know where every control is instinctivly. If my left hand isn't pushing a plow buttton it's holding the wheel while I shift with my right. Do any of you actually hold the controller in your hand while your plowing? I can't imagine not having the controller in exactly the same place every time I wanted to push a plow button!

Bill

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i plow with a regular straight blade fischer. it has the joystick controller, but i never really seem to take it out of the holder when plowing. its just as easy to push the buttons where it is. i know a V has more controls, so maybe it would be a benefit for that, but for my plow, theres no need.

3. Matt

Matt Member

I always hold the controller in my left hand, that way I always know where it is and my arm doesn't get tired since I can put it in a comfortable position. This way I steer and shift with my right hand and then I can hit the spreader controls with the right hand as well. Creature comfort is necessary when you are in truck for long hours, makes job much more enjoyable.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

We build our own controllers that allow drivers to plow, steer, shift and talk on the 2-way simultaneously.

My new system (under development) allows these 4 functions as well as being able to type in my notebook computer.

[Edited by Kent Lawns on 01-18-2001 at 08:50 PM]

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 6 fisher v-plows with the fish stick. Some guys love them others hate them.

Geoff

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I always have the controller in my hand, I honestly don't even notice it. I guess growing up playing video games finally came in handy ;).

[Edited by JD PLOWER on 01-18-2001 at 10:46 PM]

7. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

My Stick

I am lucky, I have my controls on my manual shifter.... thumb rests on the control and the rest of the hand on the stick......

Have left hand to steer and wirless communications in the truck

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Best thing you can do is get a hands free kit for the phone. Nothing like talking and plowing. Passerbyes all think that you are nuts-talking to yourself. Of course we are snow plow guys, and being nuts is part of the game.
    Dino

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The remote starter is fun to freak people out in parking lots. Wait till they get close, and hit the button. Then shut it off. Then start it up.

~Chuck

10. Trimline

Trimline Junior Member

I Just bought a meyer touch pad a few months ago. I love the thing, granted it is the worst design of all the hand helds. It is bulkly and does not fit my hand that well but it is alot better than my old three stick version. I hold the controller in the same hand I shift with and this seems to speed everything up.

11. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

i think u can mount the joystick on the auto shifter, i keep it in my lap or on armrest of drivers door

12. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I'm a bit different then most. I have my joystick semi mounted(velcro) on my counsol between the seats. Right hand is always on plow control. Left hand does all the steering and shifting. I slide my left hand over steering wheel and shift from on top of the lever. It's not as awkward as it sounds.

13. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

My hiniker controll is just like video game control, I don't like it since I used a boss plow first. it has a thumb joystick for plow position, and raise and lower buttons with slide switches for the headlamp relay, and power control. I velcrod it? on the door right in front of my power window switches. THis lets me hang my head out the window, run the plow with my left hand, and steer and shift with the right. I used to run a boss with the joystick mounted on the arm rest, but I was told to try it on the left and have never gone back

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Does anyone know if there is a kit to change a cable system over to an electric control? I hope this doesn't sound dumb but I just thought I would ask.

Bruce

15. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Depends on the hydro system. With a cable opperated belt system the it is easy to change the controlls to electric ones. With a cable opperated electic pump system, it may be a little harder.

I remember when Fisher came out with electric controlls, that was the year we converted every truck to belt drive hydro, with electric valves.

Geoff

16. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We have the Boss hand-helds - fast and "touchy" too. We each have tried to hold them, but (for the Boss Reps reading here) the cable comes out of the bottom of the unit and makes an unnatural tension on the outfit. The controller should have the cable on a swivel or, altenately, top and bottom plugs at the controller to allow the cable to feed a different way.

17. rdzimmerman

rdzimmerman Junior Member

I have a Western V with hand held controller. Didn't think I'd like it at first but now I hold it in right hand & shift with no problem. Left haqnd never has to leave the wheel. I guess its all what ya get use to or like,

18. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We had another Boss V plow installed with the joystick controller.The neat thing was the metal plate mounted to the bottom of the joystick.The plate sits between your leg and the seat.Very comfortable and user friendly.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Kent, let me know if it works, I think I could use that to. Operating the plow, shifting, talking on the two-way and on my Nextel just isn't enough to keep me busy.

Yard, I do exactly the same thing. Never move my right hand off the controls when I'm in a truck.

20. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Geoff thanks for the info. I have an older Western setup with the cables and electric pump out front. I just thought maybe there was a replacement block to go where the cables hook in. Kind of new to all this. Thanks again.

Bruce
    Happy plowing