1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hand held controller theft

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by F-350 221, Jan 28, 2014.

1. F-350 221

F-350 221 Junior Member
    from 04064

I'm hearing about many thefts of 'hand held controllers' in southern Maine. I'm sure it's in all states but lock your truck while your on break and remove your controller at night!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Better for them to only steal that then the whole truck,except in birds case.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

He could leave them running with $50 on seat for gas money and still no one would take them.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Haha! Dicks!

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That is funny right there :D

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I shouldn't say much, I leave the key in the ignition and no one has taken it yet. :p

7. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

^^^ In your case, any thieves probably think they're being baited. "Naw, man, don' take dat one, man. Dat dude will come out and put more holes in you than you got fingers to put in the holes, man." :gunsfiring: :eek:

On a more serious note, I had seen in one thread something about "it's only two screws to open up a Fish-Stik [to check the fuse]," so I brought mine inside to see about marking the inside of it as well as the outside. The slots on the screws seemed like some weird size that I didn't have a screwdriver to fit, and I didn't want to risk stripping something, so I didn't open it yet.
    I did use my electric engraver to mark my driver license number on the grip of the Fish-Stik. I might mark it on a few more places on the outside. Use the format "ST DL" or "ST OLN" and then your number, with "ST" being your state abbreviation. I prefer OLN because it's the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) code for Operator License Number. Then if your stuff gets stolen, it can be traced back to you, even if it's taken to another state.

I might not remember to take the Fish-Stik with me whenever I stop at a store or something, but here at home, even with alarms (the electronic kind and the four-legged kind), I'll bring it indoors.
    If the plow was on the truck and somebody swiped the Fish-Stik, that could pretty much immobililze the truck until I got a new controller, and that would make me pretty cranky. If the plow is off the truck, the controller goes indoors anyway.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014