1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hand held controler opinion's

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stcroixjoe, Jan 1, 2007.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

just wondering if there are any pros and cons to the hand held vs the joystick i just bought a hand held off ebay and was just want some opinion's

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I dont like a the handheld controlers. I like to be able to reach in the dark and know where my controler is. I have one for my plow but i made a holder for it out of an old cel phone holder....Rob

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the controller lights up pretty good, why cant you see it in the dark?
    once its in your hand you dont even have to look at it

it also has a mount for it.

I love mine

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, since your talking about Westerns' controller's their actually the only brand that I prefer the hand held over a fixed mount joystick. I just don't like the tiny little joystick on the Western's.It's also a matter of personal prefrence.Like Robhollar I like my controller to always be in the same spot so I can grab it instantly as it's saved me from accidents before being able to change the blade position in a heartbeat while driving down the road.With a handheld you'd never get the blade moved fast enough with the controller laying beside you on the seat or on the floor or wherever you happened to lay it after pulling out of the last job.And if you could grab it quick it probably wouldn't be on anyway since most of them have a "time out" function that automatically turns the controller off after a certain amount of "non use time".So not only would you have to pick it up quick you'd also have to remember to turn it on.

5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It could have a spot light on it and it wouldnt matter. I dont want to look at it i want to reach for it much like a gear shifter lever. Its like walking around in your house in the dark you just know where everything is. Thats how I want my truck laid out. Before I mounted mine while plowing the controler would end up on the floor now I have to stop and look for it. Well that didnt last to long till I mounted it up. Thats just my personal choice...ROb

6. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I absoluty love the hand held. All four of my trucks run them. For mounting them, my dashes are all curved so I just put it in between the driver and passenger seats of my 40/20/40 split bench seats. I always know where it is and if I get going good I can keep it in my hand and still shift from drive to reverse while at the same time moving the plow for the next run. All personal opinion.

7. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I tried my friends hand held and didn't care for it. I am sure it's a great controller but like others have said I like it to be in the exact same spot each time I reach for it. I guess it all boils down to personal prefrence.

8. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

well i got my controller yesterday in the mail now all i need is some snow to give it a try!

9. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

i just leave it in the holder

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I traded my joystick to a friend for my hand held. I like the hand held a lot, he didn't. I do the same as Chev_4x4 does. I stick it between the drivers seat and the center seat of my 40,20,40 bench seat. It is always there, no searching for it and I don't have to worry about looking at it either. Also if I am in a hurry plowing I can hold it in my hand and operate the plow while shifting the trans all in one hand while steering with the other.

11. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Hand held

I have two hand controlers and one old style joystick. Hands down the hand controler, thats what I started with, and like what was posted wedge it between the seats and start plowing. They say you can't teach and old dog new tricks/old habits are hard to break/some people don't like change.

12. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

well it snowed today i got to try the new controller for about 5 hours it was wierd at first but i like it alot more than the joystick

13. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I love the hand held over the joysyick. One thing i don't like about it is that the cord is coiled kinda tight. It doesn't stretch as freely as I would like it to. At times i have it in my hand while turning and it snaps out my hand.

14. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I've had both the western joystick and handheld. By far its the handheld hands down, I keep it in my right and shift gears while I steer with my right:D

15. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

when i had the western on my jeep I had the hand held and a manual trans. i was able to keep it in my hand and move the plow while i was shifting....took a little bit to get the hang of it, but worked fine. the truck before was a auto with the joystick mounted on the door....steered and shifted with the right and worked the plow with the left. both worked fine but i think i liked the hand held better incase i did want to switch hands or whatever. when i was not using it I ptu it in the counsole cup holder.

now i have a snowway with a big controler with rocker switches. havne't figured out a good mounting spot yet so i ended up holding that in my right hand to control the plow and drove and shifted with my left....worked fine but with a smaller controler like the western had i could drive with the left and plow and shift with the right.....unfortunatly was told there is no other controler option......:realmad:

16. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I vote for the handheld.The holder is on the dash where the pedal adjust switch would be and is easily in reach for when I need to grab it and prefer to be able to shift with it in my hand.

17. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have the hand held as well. I operate the plow and shift gears with the right and steer with my left. When I'm not usin it I just tuck it in between the seat and the center console in my truck.

18. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

handheld control

loved the handheld for my old straight blade, but don't care for it for the v plow.....always have to switch modes to go from v and scoop, to l and r angles

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you'd like the newer Cab command handheld that doesn't use a "mode" button. Anything is better than the joy stick as far as the MVP plow IMO.